How many of you hear this?

Rushsampson

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Generally after the car has sat cold for a period of time, and only for about a second or so, it's timing chain noise, I'm sure of it. It only lasts long enough for the engine to properly build oil pressure, and then it's gone. It's not the only 4.6 DOHC I've heard make this sound at cold start, and this one has been making the sound for as long as it's been in the family, a little more than a decade now. The sound was slightly more noticeable running Motorcraft semi-syn, but it still does it running Royal Purple, just not as pronounced. Would a tensioner job be advisable? Who else's 4.6 makes this sound cold? I doubt highly the chains have much slack in, since when the car is warm, I hear no tapping or clattering, something I've heard many a time from worn 4.6 SOHC Town Cars and CVPIs. Any input is greatly appreciated, as always! : D

my 93 makes that noise every cold start. and has for the better part of a decade as well, 100k or so miles.
it has 204k miles now, and runs as good as ever.

my opinion, let it ride.

I wouldn't worry about it, and make sure your using Motorcraft FL820S filters or better (no orange cans of death). My car can sit for 3 or 4 days at a time, and I get very slight noise in the topend. I also now get it in my 00 Grand Marquis, but it has 253k+ miles so it getting slightly noisy isn't a problem. It fits in the years that timing tensioner issues.

Ahh, I guess what I needed was a little peace of mind. If it's something that's existed for over 100k miles, then it's doubtful anything malicious is at work in there.

Bangster - yah, I hear you on the orange cans of death, lol. I had the guy at Walmart try to talk me out of a Motorcraft filter, he was pretty adamant about it. I pretty much had to tell him to get bent. It's a Ford engine, it requires Ford maintenance items. He couldn't seem to grasp that concept. I ended up telling him that he can feel free using whatever he wanted on his, and him basically telling me that I'll be sorry. Like it's my first Ford or something, this is my fifth in a row, all of them having used Motorcraft filters. One of them a 317k+ mile 2.3 Lima. None of them were "sorry". Some people I guess, and their children. :/

It's extremely common. Ford knows about it and they have a TSB on making it stop doing that but the fix is unreasonably expensive. The noise is completely harmless, I've never heard a Mark VIII that didn't do it.

my 191k 96 and 63k 97 are both quiet.
how the 96 does it, i have no idea. :confused:

I've never heard your vehicles. Every Mark I've ever heard with my ears has had it (6 of them.)

Members online

No members online now.
Back