How many miles are a safe purchase

old school buddy

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I had a 96 and a 98 Mark 8 and loved them both. I switched to a Cad after the Lincoln was discontinued but have not been very pleased with them. I am considering purchasing a 97 or 98 Mark 8 but I am somewhat confused on how many miles would be considered a safe purchase. I realize maintenance, location, garaged, etc. are also considerations but in your opinion how many miles would be considered a safe buy?
Thanks for your help

What's your budget? The cars are dirt cheap right now. $7-$8K gets you a really nice ride. 2nd Gen, of course!

:W to :V , i would say 75,000 miles on a car would be a safe bet. I drive a 91 town car and mine had 153,000 and runs good.

How much would a 95 with 59K go for?

Purchased a 93' White Opalescent with Aquamarine interior with 119K for $1400 and runs great. Was a one owner vehicle but needed a little love such as paint and a little ding work but that was only a grand. Now it looks like new and runs like it too.

For me.. Think about the value added for a luxury car with no car payment, which requires a little TLC from time to time.. As long as the engine and tranny are in good shape, and cosmetically pleasing.. GO FOR IT!

:invasion:

I bought my 93 Mark VIII with 156k in June. I just turned 176K took it to NY last week 2K trip. Took it to Ohio last month 1.5K trip. Took it to Colorado in August 2K trip.

I'd drive it to CA if I had the time and cash right now!

I'd say 200K + is safe!

Runs like it's new! Plus it still like to go up to 130 every so often. Now I wouldn't beat the car and I do take good care of it!

My 93 Mark is runs great at 139,000 miles and I found one for $1,450.00. Someone did a coil spring conversion on it but, it has 109,000 miles and runs great. I'd look for maintenance records and have the car checked out like any other purchase.

I bought a '92 Grand Marquis in 1997 w/ 85k on the odometer which was reliable for a long time. I think anything into the 90s and up is getting to be a bit much if you want to keep it a long time. I bought an '88 Chevy Caprice last year with 86k and no problems with that. I have a winter beater Geo Prizm with 180k but I've done a bit of work to keep it on the road. I guess if you don't know how it's been taken care of I wouldn't go much over 85K in my experiences.

Members online

Back