How many Falures of Accel Coils. Anyone ?

Well as a follow up, driving to work today and get the CEL blinking, drop it off at the dealer and computer thinks cylinder 5 and 7 are misfiring. My car has 134K miles on it, and I THINK I had the coil conversion done around 50K, so somewhere around 80K+ miles on a set or around 4 years. Definitely got my money's worth out of them.

On a side note, time to order another set of coils and plugs. Yay!

As a side note, some hack job put gorilla glue on my harness cop connectors on my passenger side. No one has a clue why either. Anyhow, the mech that did my tensionors is putting on 4 new ends that have 8 inch pigtails. Solder em up with heatshrink and its all done. Got these off Amazon, a set of 8, or you can get Pico brand solo from parts stores. Alternative to the pin fiddling.

As a side note, some hack job put gorilla glue on my harness cop connectors on my passenger side. No one has a clue why either.

He probably broke the connectors getting them off and didn't want to pay extortion rates to Napa for them. Napa wants $22/ea for them here locally. Autozone and Advance don't even list them. Swapping those pins is a real PITA!!!

O'Reilly has them for $21/ea locally if that's any better. Not even sure what Ford would charge.

I guess Advance does have them.

Here's my prices locally to buy ONE connector:

Napa - $23
Advance - $22
O'Reilly - $21

Autozone doesn't list it or I couldn't find it. Anyways, they're crazy expensive and you don't know you'll need one until you break the old one. Fun Fun!

Your other alternative is to go raid a junkyard and hope you can get some take-offs that aren't messed up too.

Looks like Rock Auto has them more reasonable for $10/ea. Just look up a 2005 Mustang GT under Electrical then "Ignition Coil Connector".

Swapping those pins is a real PITA!!!

It wasn't a PITA once I figured it out. granted, it took 6 plugs to figure it out, but somewhere around here is an explanation

It wasn't a PITA once I figured it out. granted, it took 6 plugs to figure it out, but somewhere around here is an explanation

Mine were just real brittle, so the red insert cracked into 3 pieces once or twice, one the retaining clip in the plug broke, etc. None of them came apart easy and half had some piece of plastic break off. All went back together functional though, but I did have to buy one plug which is why I understand why you'd try to make an old one work if it broke.

The ones I went with are 8 for $18 off amazon. They must be good, otherwise my new mech would say, hes had them for a week. The Pico tail I got to test cops was 7 bucks amazon, and it is SOLID.

Edit : Wow your prices I thought was actual oem not tails. here, while links last -

https://www.amazon.com/GooDeal-Modu...&sr=8-1&keywords=ford+ignition+coil+connector

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RPV1BY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OEM/Motorcraft tail is probably $28-30. They seem to be about 15-20% higher then anyone else on their other stuff.

But yeah, if you break a couple connectors it add's up QUICK! I'm glad I only broke one retaining tab but I still bitched about the extortion pricing all the way back from Napa.

Well I’m on my second LS and I am finally biting the bullet. I had accels on my 03 for about 2 years, roughly 12k miles. They worked well during that time. Sold the car and got an 06. I installed accels on the new one in March and now I have one bad coil. Roughly 8k miles on the accels.

It is important to note that while both cars ran well with them, i could always tell there was a slight miss from time to time. It happened every time I drove the car. It wouldn’t last long so I just lived with it. Now I’m just tired of dealing with it. So I’m going to convert the car back and buy motorcrafts. I followed all instructions to the letter. Switched plug polarities, proper plug gap, everything. The only advice I ignored was that I should buy motorcrafts from the get go.

I did notice that the new accels I got for the 06 were slightly different from the accels I bought for the 03 back in 2014. The coil body was slightly different.

Members online

No members online now.
Back