how low is too low?

purelux said:
Ok thats what I was mainly talking about the damage would definatly result from and you are checking them as I said would be the only way to know for sure. Thats cool and nice to know as a testimant to the quality of the suspension. I would really like to get a markVIII after my towncar but I heard there are like 6 air struts on the car 4 on the wheels and 2 air shocks mounted as dampners horizontally against the rear axle, if thats true about the last 2. And I was a bit weary of most likely getting a car with orig bags and running into an inevitable leak since most would be old enough and driven enough that it would be likely.

No dude the car and air-ride system are pretty simple actually. Two air struts up front, two bags out back. The front is integrated where the bag and shock are one unit and the rear has a separate shock and bag. Replacement parts aren't very expensive either.

Kale

Sweet, so it has electronic connectors on the shocks though right. The suspension was the only thing worrying me about getting one after I turned 25 and my ins dropped. And I figured a towncar would have alot lower insurance than a nearly 300 hp depending on year MarkVIII. I liked my 91 t-bird and always wanted to combine the power of my das 97 continental with the ride of my tc but still have sporty handling and look. I have a pretty good ride with my edelbrock ias and poly bushings sway front and rear and 21mm rear sway bar and ens endlinks in back. But I like the idea of the irs the birds and marks have. And it's quite expensive to close the power and handling gap between a mark8 and a towncar.

djKale said:
No dude the car and air-ride system are pretty simple actually. Two air struts up front, two bags out back. The front is integrated where the bag and shock are one unit and the rear has a separate shock and bag. Replacement parts aren't very expensive either.

Kale

The shocks do not have electronic controls, only the airbags have an electrical connection to connect the solenoid valve. Some of the first gen Mark VIIIs do have an electronic connection on the top of the rear shocks, but that was to allow the computer to modify the dampening under sever conditions, not for adjusting ride comfort or height.

In all honesty, the Mark VIIIs are staring to fall behind the curve from a performance standpoint. Now that you can buy an Altima that will click off mid 14s, or pick from a few 4 bangers that are capable of collecting 13 second timeslips right out of the box, a high 14 second car doesn't really raise too many eyebrows.

As far as bang for buck and "hot-rod-ability", the Mark VIII is by far the sweetest deal around. The drivetrain ain't too shabby, but the air suspension is the car's major asset IMHO.

Kale

Oh I thought they would like the last of the continentals did. I don't really consider those tuners as evenly comparable to cars such as t-birds, vic's mark 8's stangs. As they are smaller and cost more than comparable domestic. While something like a altima is nice it's the type of car only likable when its new. As soon as it ages and needs real repairs done they won't be around in quanity like the others i mentioned. They will only survive until beaten to death as beaters or ones tuned and dressed enough to be worth keeping, which most won't. The newer cars get it seems the more they have a new only appeal and will be gone and forgotton rather than sought out as they age. Part of this may be so older cars are off the roads without having to force them. People don't want to keep them around they just let them go. I mean in 20 years who is gonna be looking for a 04 altima, or alero, or contour. Adversly who would be looking for say a 04 vette, or jaguar, or mustang. A mark 7 or 8 has the classic sport look, long swept hood, coupe, large doors and good power and handling.

djKale said:
The shocks do not have electronic controls, only the airbags have an electrical connection to connect the solenoid valve. Some of the first gen Mark VIIIs do have an electronic connection on the top of the rear shocks, but that was to allow the computer to modify the dampening under sever conditions, not for adjusting ride comfort or height.

In all honesty, the Mark VIIIs are staring to fall behind the curve from a performance standpoint. Now that you can buy an Altima that will click off mid 14s, or pick from a few 4 bangers that are capable of collecting 13 second timeslips right out of the box, a high 14 second car doesn't really raise too many eyebrows.

As far as bang for buck and "hot-rod-ability", the Mark VIII is by far the sweetest deal around. The drivetrain ain't too shabby, but the air suspension is the car's major asset IMHO.

Kale

Members online

No members online now.
Back