How I got frustrated and fixed my shift knob....

93mark8rules

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 94 Mark 8 and like most 1st gen Marks the button flew out of the shift knob. Being that there's less of these cars in the junkyards now a days I was looking for a way to fix it. First I tried a Pep Boys universal wood shift knob. That wasnt worth the plastic it was made of, it spun all the time and felt loose and honestly just didn't look like it belonged. Then someone said use a 2nd gen knob theyre the same. Turns out they're not. First Gens are secured with a clip where as second gens are secured with 2 set screws that thread into the shift lever. When I found that out I bought a 2nd gen shift lever which didnt fit my shifter base. Then I bought a whole 2nd Gen shifter set up to put in my car, and started asking about compatibility. Someone on here said they had seen the original shifter button online and that a Fiesta also worked. So I got on google and found the old Ford Part # and ordered it off ebay for about $20. I put it in the shifter and found out it looked the same but didn't fit.But once you open the wrapper you cant return it. SO took out a file and sand paper and shaped it to fit.
IMG_20160622_152616_970_zpsgaggxd2l.jpg
IMG_20160622_152607_818_zpscvy45vmz.jpg

After an hour or so I found out the ramp is a different angle from the original and it wasnt pushing the little white peg down enough to release the shifter. So at this point I realized even Ford had forsaken my poor Mark VIII...

Finally I was mad So I grabbed my old shift button and heated up a finishing nail on the stove and made to small holes in the knob where the strap that held it on the shifter used to be.

IMG_20160622_162840_348_zpskcyl8zn3.jpg

Then I started looking around the house for wire of some sort to make a new strap. I found some CAT5e communications wire in the basement. SO I stripped it and used one pair of wires to make the loop.
IMG_20160622_163538_827_zpshgyye91c.jpg

I test fit it on the shifter and it worked well. So the next thing to do was I squeezed the 2 ends that were sticking out with a pair of pliers to make them flatter, and dribbled some crazy glue into the holes just in case the wire decided it was going to move. Here is my finished product.

IMG_20160622_163542_243_zpspv9fiot7.jpg

So if anyone's button breaks don't waste money and time just get a foot of cat 5 from Home Depot and use it to fix your button, so far its been on my car 2 weeks and has given me no problems...

Thanks its amazing what a little frustration can lead you to do. I bet it will last longer than the original part.

Just for reference multiple Lincoln sites say Ford Part # F7SZ7C488AA is a replacement button for first gen Marks, and that is what I ordered and it came in the Ford parts bag.

Well that's one thing that hasn't broken yet on mine, probably will now.

Mine broke years ago. I put the button back in, but it didn't have the springy feel to push it back out. It stayed that way for years and never caused a problem. The cool thing was that, I could remove the button anytime I wanted and that kept the kid from driving it...:)

Well until a bought a black shifter to replace the blue one from dnsherrill.

This will become more and more the norm rather than the exception. The newest Mark is now almost 19 years old. That grieves me, but I am coping by rebuilding everything from the suspension up. I went looking around a couple of weeks ago thinking I maybe am ready for an older sports car like a '70's Z or maybe a 60's Healy, Mustang or GTO, but I was floored by how much a hulk sells for these days. For half the money I can redo the Mark and have the features I am spoiled by and a high measure of reliability. And I am spoiled by the sound of my engine. Nothing sounds like a V8. Formula1 sounds like work trucks these days. I have even resorted to Formula V8 3.5 for the soundtrack of a proper race car. This forum and LOD are the resource for our cars. We need to stick together.

Members online

No members online now.
Back