How do you program a Lincoln LS key yourself????

DUVALINCOLN

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Good morning LVC,

I recently had the pleasure of accidentally breaking the hard plastic portion on on my 04 Lincoln LS key and was wondering how could I avoid coming out the pocket to the dealership for another key. Thanks!

To do it your self you must have two working keys.

If you do then the instructions are in the owners manual (pages 154 & 155), but to make it easier I copied them here

Programming spare keys

A maximum of eight keys can be coded to your vehicle. Only Securilock keys can be used. To program a coded key yourself, you will need two previously programmed coded keys (keys that already operate your vehicle’s engine) and the new unprogrammed key(s) readily accessible for timely implementation of each step in the procedure.

If two previously programmed coded keys are not available, you must take your vehicle to an authorized Ford dealer to have the spare coded key(s) programmed.

Please read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.

1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition from 1 (LOCK) to 4 (RUN) (maintain ignition in the 4 (RUN) position for at least three seconds, but no more than ten seconds).

2. Turn the ignition to the 1 (LOCK) position and remove the first coded key from the ignition.

3. Within ten seconds of turning the ignition to the 1 (LOCK) position, insert the second previously programmed coded key into the ignition and turn the ignition from the 1 (LOCK) position to the 4 (RUN) position (maintain ignition in the 4 (RUN) position for at least three seconds, but no more than ten seconds).

4. Turn the ignition to the 1 (LOCK) position and remove the second coded key from the ignition.

5. Within twenty seconds of turning the ignition to the 1 (LOCK) position, insert the new unprogrammed key (new key/valet key) into the ignition and turn the ignition from 1 (LOCK) to 4 (RUN) (maintain ignition in the 4 (RUN) position for at least three seconds). This step will program your new key to a coded key.

6. To program additional new unprogrammed key(s), wait at least twenty seconds and then repeat this procedure from Step 1.

If successful, the new coded key(s) will start the vehicle’s engine and the theft indicator will flash on and off. You may repeat Steps 1 through 5. If failure repeats, take your vehicle to your authorized dealer in order to have new spare key(s) programmed.

FYI...2nd gen only

Not true. The key programming procedure works on both generations.

The thing that confuses people is the remote programming (which is not what this thread is about).

Gen I - self key programming
Gen I - dealer remote programming

Gen II - self key programming
Gen II - self remote programming

Members online

Back