How do you know if your air ride is going bad?

b34nz

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
The cont. has air shocks / air suspension, right?

What are the signs it's going out? Will there be an effect on my tires?

If the air ride were failing, it might affect the camber, but tire wear wouldn't be the most obvious sign.

Usually ride height and compressor noise.

If the air ride were failing, it might affect the camber, but tire wear wouldn't be the most obvious sign.

Usually ride height and compressor noise.

Here's a picture of one of my front tires: http://fileshack.us/get_file.php?id=685698&file=DSC01914.JPG

Thing is, my back tires are like that too. I just bought this car so I have no idea if the previous owners had the tires rotated and thats why all 4 tires are like this or what. There is def an issue with all 4 tires being worn on the inside like seen in the picture though.

It also appears to the naked eye that the front tires appear to have a slight tilt going on. Sort of like the leaning tower of pisa, only less noticeable.

Any ideas? I'm going to take it in soon anyway, I'm just trying to prepare myself for the possible issue.

How much would a new suspension cost on this thing anyway? Ballpark?

Personally, speaking as a Mark VIII owner, I would just have the alignment checked. Firestone will usually check the alignment for free.

Can get pricey FAST at the dealer. Dealers LOVE to throw new parts at the system until it works.

With my old Mark how it would go is that a minor leak makes the air pump run more frequently, which wears out the pump and pretty soon not much isn't getting replaced.

I think our continential is air only in the rear, which is mostly troublefree.

I think our continential is air only in the rear, which is mostly troublefree.

97-02 are rear but the 95-96 are all four corners.

Anyways It is not your suspension but you just need alignment. From where it's worn out, is it a smooth all the way around (looks smooth on the picture) or does it have "bumps where there is more tread then other. It would indicate if your shocks are working as they should. BTW How many miles are on your car

Members online

No members online now.
Back