how do u guys have aftermarket subs hooked up to stock in-dash nav?

Banker

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i just have the rca converter deal that taps into the rear speakers (the ones right next to the rear windshield. i just tapped into one of them). my amp has a switch for hi-pass/low-pass/full. i had to set it to full (which i believe is both hp and lp combined) when tapped into those speakers otherwise it sounded bad. the stock rear speakers are still functional this way.

i have a bass knob connected to the amp, but it doesnt seem to have much affect (compared to when i've had this amp/sub setup in another car with an aftermarket deck with the rca's plugged right into the deck without having to tap into speakers.) i just change the bass on the stock head unit (which is annoying clicking thru to the menu to do so)

is there a better way?

(i have the stock 6 disc in-dash with nav on an '04)

use a quality line output converter. cheap ones sound like sh!t, make sure that you have the adjustments set right, and place it in line right before the subs.

and if your running subs, then have the crossover set to LPF, since the factory subs are smaller than most other subs, then will probably get higher freq's that will also ruin the sound.

and this will never sound as good as having an aftermarket deck whit the proper outputs.

As of right now i have the stock THX setup with a loc in the trunk and it sounds pretty damn good. Im sure once i install my headunit with 4v preouts it will sound much better.

the line output converter, thats the thing i have tapped into the rear subs right?

idk where to buy a "quality" one but i think ur right about the settings. i cant seem to get it right. between the setting on the LOC and the settings on the amp... yeah, i just need an aftermarket head unit. and a better amp. and a better box. and better subs lol.

not exactly sure what u mean by "place it in line right before the subs." im tapped in right next to the rear left sub, and my amp is in the trunk like two feet away. is that what u mean?

You need to match the gain on the loc to the gain of the amp.

I have my bass at the middle on the headunit and the treble far right. I let my subs handle the lows. And the gain on my amp is at 50%..sounds great like this.

My setup hits very hard for what it is...i have a single sealed 10" and it shakes my entire rear of my car and the rearview a bit.

ok this makes sense...
so i think on my amp when i plug in a bass know, that overrides the bass setting on the amp itself... i might just disconnect the bass knob, try experimenting again with tha bass on the amp itself. and them i'll be sure to match the gain on the amp and the LOC

wait, but since my amp pulls it's signal from the stock rear subs, turning the bass down on the head unit will affect my aftermarket subs... i'll have to experiment...

(for the record i have two old 12" 800 watt sony explodes and an off-brand "1600" watt amp.)

im gonna try messing with it now and i'll post back what i figure out.

Yeah you need to get rid of that old stuff and get some quality stuff.

You need to figure out whether its a bass control (secondary gain control) or an actual bass boost. Bass boost sucks and will cause the signal to clip making it sound like crap.

k ur totally right. bass boost on the amp sucks. and my LOC is a cheapo POS with no gain adjustment. idk exactly what the bass knob was controlling.

so far here's what sounds the best so far:
everything got better when i disconnected the bass knob.
setting the bass on the head unit to 50% (the middle) while turning up the gain on the amp made a big dig diff (and cuz i wired a switch to the amp, i can always turn the amp off and turn the bass back up on the stock head unit --- like when the g/f is listening to country lol). ive got the gain on the amp about 60% and the bass boost on the amp doesnt seem to make much diff. bit of distortion when my head is in the trunk, but it sounds acceptable in the cab.

also ive left my amp on "full" (LPF + HPF) nothing else sounds right. probly since im tapping into the sound from the stock subs? anyway...

conclusion. i need an aftermarket head unit cuz the LOC converter just sucks. i need a higher quality amp too. and im not positive my subs are even seated that well against my old ass box. subs with bigger magnets wouldnt hurt either, but that's probly last.

im just grateful the stock THX system sounds pretty good.
and if anyone is interested im willing to sell my body for a better system. :p

Members online

No members online now.
Back