How Do I Remove The Trim From A 2008 Navigator THX II Radio?

Dave Haig

New LVC Member
Reaction score
1. I am about to attempt the installation of a Parrot Bluetooth system
2. I have the THX II Head Unit with DVD Navigation.
3. I have a have suitable trim removal tool
4. How do you remove the trim without damaging anything?

If anyone has done this, any tips to how to attack this task would be greatly appreciated!

This is what the radio and trim looks like...

Radio.jpg

1. I am about to attempt the installation of a Parrot Bluetooth system
2. I have the THX II Head Unit with DVD Navigation.
3. I have a have suitable trim removal tool
4. How do you remove the trim without damaging anything?

If anyone has done this, any tips to how to attack this task would be greatly appreciated!

This is what the radio and trim looks like...

I'm curious if the Parrot worked for you, due to the reason that these new radios use a canbus system. I am really interested. Thanks.

I would up using a Motorola IHF1000.

Don't like the cheesy display of the Parrot.

The Motorola makes a clean install and works like a charm.

I used the ford MobilEase harness and all was nearly plug and play.

I only had to run one wire for switched 12volts from the ignition switch.

I couldn't be happier, but ripping off the trim was a most trematic experience.

I suggest you get yourself a trim panel remover kit before you begin to operate!

I would up using a Motorola IHF1000.

Don't like the cheesy display of the Parrot.

The Motorola makes a clean install and works like a charm.

I used the ford MobilEase harness and all was nearly plug and play.

I only had to run one wire for switched 12volts from the ignition switch.

I couldn't be happier, but ripping off the trim was a most trematic experience.

I suggest you get yourself a trim panel remover kit before you begin to operate!

Thanks for the reply. Did you have to use both harnesses that would come with the mobile ease system or just the one? Would you have a part number and how about a picture of the install?

I used the recommended harness for my 2008 Navigator.

The part number is 3W4Z-14A411-AA

I did not have the RUN/ACC harness on hand, so I ran my own 12v ignition sense wire to the fuse panel.

I suppose the second harness would have come in handy.

I have read some complaints that it did not give the necessary signal in some installations.

I didn't want to mess around, so I did it the hard way, but absolutely for sure way!

I'll try to get some time to snap a picture and post it.

Looks great. BTW we have the same monochrome interior and love it. The leather is much better than our '04 was.

Ok, so how did you sneak the wire through the console and does anything get displayed on the screen such as a phone number etc?

Also did you use the speaker with the kit or was it bypassed into the audio system and did the ford harness utilize a plug with the motorola or was like hardwireing the two units together like I had to with the parrot? Thanks.

I used the standard MobilEase harness which pretty much gives you a 'Plug N. Play' installation.

I did however have to hard wire a RUN/ACC signal to tell the unit when to turn on.

Older models were able to get the signal direct off the harness, but I think the CAN/BUS changed all that

The system fully integrates with the radio, that is to say...

Now, whenever I start the car, after about 10 seconds, the radio displays "PHONE" and I hear "Phone one ready" through the front car speakers.

The car kit is then ready for use.

When I make a call, using the car kit's buttons or my phone, the radio mutes, displays "PHONE" and I hear the car kit's voice through the front speakers, asking me what I want to do. When I call someone I hear them through the speakers too, and I can adjust the volume of the call using either the radio volume control, or the volume buttons on the steering wheel (something I didn't expect).

When I receive a call, the radio mutes, displays "PHONE", and I hear "Call from 'Jon Doe' (or whoever)" if they are in my car kit contact list. If the caller isn't in my list, I hear "Call from (213) 555-1234". I can then press the answer button on the car kit's control, and take the call.

If the caller is in my phone book it will actually announce with their name tag, rather than their number.

Even more amazing is that all of this occurs even with the radio off.

I don't care how, or why, but that's just crazy good.

I could not be happier with the way it works!

looks really nice, just a question though ...

do you have factory navigation with Sirus radio?

seems like many add-on items are not capatible with the factory navigation and/or facoty sirus radio and/or rear seat entertainment package.

as far as the dash tool, where can this be purchased? can you post a pic of this tool?

looks really nice, just a question though ...

do you have factory navigation with Sirus radio?

seems like many add-on items are not capatible with the factory navigation and/or facoty sirus radio and/or rear seat entertainment package.

where did you hardwiree into? please detail instructions.

Sorry for the late replay.

It's the full monte navigation with Sirus radio.

Features of the radio doesn't much seem to matter.

It's getting the right harness from the dealer that brings it all together.

That, and nerves of steel, when pulling off the trim without destroying it!

Hope this helps...

Dave

Members online

No members online now.
Back