How do I know?

L

LaviLux

I'm going to attempt to install my own audio system in my LS. There is one thing i need to know. How do I find out if I have an amplified system. Or better yet can some one tell me. I have a 2001 Lincoln LS V8 sport. 6-disc Alpine changer and 4 speakers (1 per door). If it is an amplified system where is the amp located?

If anyone has any words of wisdom regarding installing an aftermrket audio system please share your knowledge.

much appreciated

LaviLux said:
I'm going to attempt to install my own audio system in my LS. There is one thing i need to know. How do I find out if I have an amplified system. Or better yet can some one tell me. I have a 2001 Lincoln LS V8 sport. 6-disc Alpine changer and 4 speakers (1 per door). If it is an amplified system where is the amp located?

If anyone has any words of wisdom regarding installing an aftermrket audio system please share your knowledge.

much appreciated

there are two 6DC in-dash systems for the LS.
- the Audiophile option was the 12 speaker option
  • 2 center console speakers - seperate amp[ driving these
  • 4 x 2way door speakers
  • 2 rear subs in in the rear deck - seperate amp driving these
- the 'standard' system which drove the 4 door speaker from the head unit.

what does it pay? :Beer

Actually - I learned all this stuff from other members, the LLSOC, lots of manuals and taking my car apart 1000 times....

I think you need to setup an auto-response Quick. :) I still don't see 12 speakers there though. I can tell you that I hear the difference with only having the 4 speakers in my Sport model though. :( Not too bad, I guess.

12 is just overkill, I can understand rear deck speakers and a factory sub, but the center console speakers don't make sense at all.

LaviLux, installing a new HU is very easy, just order the dash kit and wiring haness, it'll be installed in about 10-15 minutes if it goes smooth.

SurfjaxLS said:
12 is just overkill, I can understand rear deck speakers and a factory sub, but the center console speakers don't make sense at all.

the console speakers are used to add 'depth' to the sound - they are part of the Audiophile's DSP (digital signal processing) package. when you select 'concert hall' or 'jazz club' the console speakers have a lot to do with the spacious-ness effect. they do make a difference.

SurfjaxLS said:
LaviLux, installing a new HU is very easy, just order the dash kit and wiring haness, it'll be installed in about 10-15 minutes if it goes smooth.

I believe these are the pieces:
  • Harness to connect aftermarket head unit to existing wiring = Parts Express part number 265-610, Metra part number 70-1771.
  • Head unit mounting kit - PAGAN MODEL NUMBER 1943/IK-5000

I was meaning to ask the same question. I would like to know what type of system I have in mine. I have the 00' model pretty much fully loaded. I don't believe it has the sport package though, considering it only has 16 inch rims, and not SST. But I know I have the Alpine 6 CD changer in the dash, the 2 speakers on the center console, 1 on each door, and 2 in the back. Are the ones on the door are 2 speakers underneath the mesh cover? Anyone have any ideas what I have and how many watts. Or if I do have subs, how big are they. All of the goodies, please.

Lucas05 3 said:
I was meaning to ask the same question. I would like to know what type of system I have in mine. I have the 00' model pretty much fully loaded. I don't believe it has the sport package though, considering it only has 16 inch rims, and not SST. But I know I have the Alpine 6 CD changer in the dash, the 2 speakers on the center console, 1 on each door, and 2 in the back. Are the ones on the door are 2 speakers underneath the mesh cover? Anyone have any ideas what I have and how many watts. Or if I do have subs, how big are they. All of the goodies, please.

You should read the owners guide - as it tells you a lot of the cool feature of that headunit.

Here's what I know:
- The Alpine (120 watts, full DSP & RDS functionality, 6CD in-dash changer)
- there is a 2 way 5"x9" in each door (yes under the mesh - but you remove the door panels to access them)
- there is a 3.5" speaker on each side of the console driven by there own amp for imaging (the DSP function)
- there are 2 6"x9" subs in the reardeck driven by there own amp (on each side of the third brake lamp - you access them from inside the trunk)

there are too many feature to list here.

the most common upgrades are:
- replace all the door speakers
- replace the console speakers
- remove the rear subs, amp and plactic mounting deck - replace with aftermarket amp, kicking subs and a sub box

Quik LS said:
You should read the owners guide - as it tells you a lot of the cool feature of that headunit.

Here's what I know:
- The Alpine (120 watts, full DSP & RDS functionality, 6CD in-dash changer)
- there is a 2 way 5"x9" in each door (yes under the mesh - but you remove the door panels to access them)
- there is a 3.5" speaker on each side of the console driven by there own amp for imaging (the DSP function)
- there are 2 6"x9" subs in the reardeck driven by there own amp (on each side of the third brake lamp - you access them from inside the trunk)

there are too many feature to list here.

the most common upgrades are:
- replace all the door speakers
- replace the console speakers
- remove the rear subs, amp and plactic mounting deck - replace with aftermarket amp, kicking subs and a sub box

My stock subs werent 6x9s more like 4x6s...

100_1418.jpg

sorry - I should have been more specific - the doors are 5"x7" the subs are 6"x8" - remember that the 5x7 and 6x8 are almost interchangable ;)

Here's what I did:
- upgraded the door speakers to Alpine SPS-570A 5"x7" 2-way
- upgraded the console speakers to Fosgate Rockford FRC3203 - 3.5" Punch 2-way
- Sony Xplod Amplifier 1000W XM-2165GTX amplifier driving 2x XS-L1200B 12" subwoofers
- Rockford 1 Farad Digital Capacitor
- 4 guage wiring

- thumps so much my issue is vibrations.

(measure your subs again - you'll see that the MOUNTING is not 4x6)

good way to fix vibration is to get a can of great stuff from your hardwars store, remove the carpeting on the trunklid, fill the bracings with that stuff through the holes that the carpet clips latch to and then relatch it before it drys or you will have a hard time getting them back in, took care of almost all my trunk rattle, then i put a layer of felt behing my license plate, the rest of the rattle is form so much air moving. Kicks the :q:q:q:q our of dynamat extreme

3 12"s
1000 watts each.

* don't over do the great stuff, it expands a lot. Use no more then 2/3s the can or you risk making your trunk buldge out.

Members online

Back