How do I drain the coolant?

Irish Mike

LVC Member
Reaction score
I just recently got a 1991 Town Car and I'm trying to flush the cooling system. I loosened the drain plug on the radiator fully, but nothing came out. What's the problem with that? Is it plugged up? I'm sure the radiator isn't empty since the car has no problem keeping cool and the expansion tank is full. The Haynes manual says there are also drain plugs on the engine block, but I can't seem to find them. Can someone tell me where they are?
This all seems like simple enough stuff, but like I said, I just got this car so I'm still learning where everything is.

Irish Mike said:
I just recently got a 1991 Town Car and I'm trying to flush the cooling system. I loosened the drain plug on the radiator fully, but nothing came out. What's the problem with that? Is it plugged up? I'm sure the radiator isn't empty since the car has no problem keeping cool and the expansion tank is full. The Haynes manual says there are also drain plugs on the engine block, but I can't seem to find them. Can someone tell me where they are?
This all seems like simple enough stuff, but like I said, I just got this car so I'm still learning where everything is.

I would venture to say it might be plugged. If you take off the rad cap, and its' full, then it has to be plugged. If you can, you might try to remove the lower rad hose and drain it that way until you can get the petcock off and see what's preventing it from draining.

I'm with EvilFord on this. Make sure you remove the radiator or cold reservoir cap or the suction won't let it drain. I have a 1991 Town Car and they hold something like 17 - 19 psi on the cooling system.

If that doesn't work, uses evil's hose idea; its bulletproof, because if you have no overheating issues that means the coolant goes through the hose, ergo, you can drain it there.

Good Luck,
GT6

Alright, thanks to you both. Any ideas on how I can unclog the drain plug, or where the engine block drain plugs are?

Personally I wouldn't mess with the engine block drain plugs, too much of a pain in the ass. Just take off the lower radiator hose and let er rip.

Members online

No members online now.
Back