How do I decode the vehicle number?

Limey

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a link or the info for me to tell when my Mark VII was built? Should be a 1992 but in England the legal requirement for a vehicle to have a catalytic convertor starts at August 1st 1992. Obviously it may be beneficial for me to know wether I could remove them or not.

The vehicle identification number/frame number is:

1LNCM93E8NY60****

Limey said:
Anyone have a link or the info for me to tell when my Mark VII was built? Should be a 1992 but in England the legal requirement for a vehicle to have a catalytic convertor starts at August 1st 1992. Obviously it may be beneficial for me to know wether I could remove them or not.

1LNCM93E8NY60****

Hi Limey

Position 10 of the VIN number is the year which in your case is '92, there should be a sticker on the drivers door which will give you the build month/year.

Click here for a full VIN decoder.

There is NO legal requirement for a catalytic convertor in the U.K nor can your car fail an MOT for not having one, the only regulation is to pass the relevant emissions limits.

If your car is a "J" reg it will not even need a "catalyst" emisions test.

If your car is a "K" reg the rules are a bit long winded but the short version is it will need an initial "catalyst" emissions test but if it fails this will only have to meet the pre 92 emissions regulations which are less than 3.5% C.O and 1200ppm HC @ idle, DO NOT let any MOT station tell you different, if they do ask to see there Inspectors Manual and they will have to back down.

Regards

Dereck

thanks!

just checked in the door and found the date 08/91

Been reading the online testers manual at MoT.co.uk and that lead me to believe they are required on vehicles first used on or after 1st August 1992. If that's the case, I need 'em.

Limey said:
thanks!

Been reading the online testers manual at MoT.co.uk and that lead me to believe they are required on vehicles first used on or after 1st August 1992. If that's the case, I need 'em.

Hi Limey

No you do not need catalysts! You force me into the long winded explaination :)

Here is what your MOT guy will do;

If your car is a "J" reg he will just stick the sniffer up the tailpipe and take a reading at idle which to pass has to be less than 3.5% C.O & 1200ppm HC (hydrocarbons).

If your car is a "K" reg he will do a BET (Basic Emissions Test) to the stricter "catalyst" limits of less than 0.2% C.O & 200ppm at a fast idle and 0.5% C.O @ idle.

If your car fails the BET he has to follow a flow chart that goes like this;

Is the car used after August 92 - Yes
Is the car used before August 95 - Yes
Can you find the car on the vehicle specific emissions database - NO
Carry out an emissions test to the pre 92 limits of less than 3.5% C.O & 1200ppm HC

Any American car can pass our limp emissions rules standing on it's head, in fact my 79 Continental with a carburettor can pass our "Catalyst" emissions test.

Hope this clears up your confusion.

Regards

Dereck

Firstly, you may have noticed my last post was nonsense. If my car is dated 08/91, then of course that's before the stated 1/8/92 anyway. D'oh!:slam

Our regs say: "The catalyst test is part of the MOT test for most class IV spark ignition petrol engined passenger cars with four or more wheels first used on and after 1 August 1992."

A bit vague isn't it? I mean, "most" vehicles?

Limey said:

1LNCM93E8NY60****
Your car has a BORN ON date on the Verification label in the door frame. In the example below, the month of manufature was 04/91:

Limey said:
thanks!

Once again, I should have read through the thread :)

Take your car to Dereck to be inspected :thumbsUp:

Members online

No members online now.
Back