How can I tell the rear end gearing...

00NORCAL V8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
in my car? The build date was 4/00. I have a speed shop here in Nor Cal that can do a gear swap for 600.00 out the door. Is that a good price?

00NORCAL V8 said:
in my car? The build date was 4/00. I have a speed shop here in Nor Cal that can do a gear swap for 600.00 out the door. Is that a good price?
Your car has 3.31 gears from the factory. Swapping to 3.58 isn't really going to make much of a difference. Did they find different gears that fit? Does the $600 include reprogramming your speedometer? If so, it's a good deal.

Dutch said:
Your car has 3.31 gears from the factory. Swapping to 3.58 isn't really going to make much of a difference. Did they find different gears that fit? Does the $600 include reprogramming your speedometer? If so, it's a good deal.
600.00 was to include recalibrating the speedo. Not sure of the gears they'd put in but I think it was higher than 3.58? What gearing would I have to go with to get a little quicker off the line? They said for 425.00 they will get me the xcal2? and tune the car also.

The 3.9L loves to rev, so I'd go with 4.10s if they can find them. If they can get you numerically higher gears than 3.58, be sure to let us know, that'd be good news.

Yeah, what does this shop have available for the ls as far as high numerical ratios goes.
Remember the case is supposedly not big enough to mount standard 8.8 gear ratios. That is why it comes with these odd 3.31 and 3.58 sizes.

If they want an additional $425/xcal2 to tune the car on top of the 600 thats over a 1,000 for a gear swap and a tune? they are whipping out the vaseline cause you are getting raped. A simple gear swap should not cost anymore than 100-125. Atleast what I have been quoted around here. Then again I know a lot of ppl who are experienced in that area because I used to own a stang for 5 yrs. Also, I wonder how much our gears are?

Get the gears installed and get a tune. You can change the speed cal thru a tune...unless our speed cals are mechanical then you are seriously getting raped on that price.

$600 is steep, and $100-125 is unrealistic.

There's a few hours work involved in any gear swap.

But yeah, as far as we (as a club) are aware there is no ratio higher than the 3.58's, unless you're willing to modify a whole new 8.8" rear end to fit.

...hence the reason why I stated owning a mustang for 5yrs and modding it to hell, I've met a lot of people in those 5yrs who do side jobs out of their garage with A LOT of people vouching for them

Even so, $125 is unrealistic - I've also done many a swap with my mechanic brother. Parts alone (ring+pinion, crush sleeve, bearings, fluids, etc) are more.

And it's at least a 2-3 hour job, and with shop rates of at least $50 you can see where it'd be at least a few hundred bucks.

Just not $600 - that's way too high ;).

Dead President said:
...hence the reason why I stated owning a mustang for 5yrs and modding it to hell, I've met a lot of people in those 5yrs who do side jobs out of their garage with A LOT of people vouching for them

Sorry Dead...but you can't get a set of gears installed for $125. No way. The gears alone or more than that. Even if you supplied all the parts, I wouldn't do it for that price. I've done several IRS gear swaps on Cobras...and it's a lot more work than that. You have to pull the diff from the car to swap gears, and that is a ton more work than a live axle. Even if you brought them the diff, $125 is pretty damn cheap! Setting the pinion depth can take an hour by itself unless you are just plain lucky and hit it the first time. Heck...the synthetic lube will cost you a third of that!! I think $600 is a reasonable price out the door for parts and everything. Remember, the shop needs to be profitable and warranty it's work.

3.31's to 3.58's is a waste of money. You won't see a significant performance gain from that swap. See if you can find a way to go to 3.73's. That should be a perfect street/highway set up. On the 01 Cobras, we were going from 3.27's to 3.73's with very positive results. You got great street performance and retained excellent highway manners too. If they didn't care about highway use, then it was 4.10's.

Sorry so late but thanks for the advise! I'll make sure I don't get bent over when I decide to do it. This shop specializes in mustang performance and the owner was checking on what gearing he can find. I will keep you guys up to date as it progresses.

OK it is unrealistic becasue the people I know are not out to MAKE money but simply to help out another mustang owner. Before I knew how to wrench on vehicles, I met another stanger at the track and he installed some lowerings springs for free. Yea you are reading it right, FREE

and for the 125, im referring to labor, not parts. that's probably where I threw everyone off, which I apologize for. I'm just used to buying my parts first and installing them myself. I can't recall ever buying a part and having the same shop installing it for me at the same time.

Members online

Back