Hotwire my 79

KHM

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My 79 has had a sticky ignition, sometimes it will get stuck and the starter will run for a few seconds, and I'll jiggle it around until it stops. Today it wouldn't stop. Had to pull the coil wire to kill the engine, and a battery terminal to kill the starter. looked at it when I got home from work, now the ignition wont engage the starter. The key doesn't spring back from the start position now. So I started taking stuff apart.

I'm not much of a mechanic, but I understand electricity. Figured I just needed to find whatever wires that the ignition controls, and rig up some switches and boom, good to go. I think I started from the wrong end though. Ive got the steering wheel off, and the plastic disk that has all the blinker, hazard, and horn wiring, got the ignition cylinder out. No sign of any ignition wiring. Probably should have started under the dash. So now I need to get my steering wheel back on, but once i do is there anything in particular I should be looking for under the dash?

Members online

No members online now.
Back