Hot air thru vents in AC mode 2000 LS V8

joespanova

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Years ago I had a similar problem , hot on one side ( middle dash vents ) cool on the other and so on.....so I replaced the DCCV as many of you are already familiar with this solution. Fast forward to 6 yrs later ( yes I still like the LS , LOL ) but NOW it over comes the AC as soon as the engine gets warm enough. So the first thing I do is replace the DCCV yet again......but this time to no avail. After the new DCCV install and test , same problem. This is with a fully charged AC system.............the compressor kicks on immediately as it should , but fairly quickly is overcome by heat. Any other faults?

Most likely there is a wiring fault between the DATC and the DCCV. What self-test DTCs does the DATC display? Have you run all the pinpoint tests related to those in the listed sequence?

Most likely there is a wiring fault between the DATC and the DCCV. What self-test DTCs does the DATC display? Have you run all the pinpoint tests related to those in the listed sequence?
Troubleshooting this is beyond the scope of my resources , so I took it to a good shop I'm familiar with......they told me basically the DATC is the origination of the fault , showing ground fault codes or something to that effect........in any event they are working thru the problem as we type......IF , I find another DATC unit will it "interface" with my PROM without a code conflict or?

With your PROM?

A DATC from the same generation LS should pop in and work fine. No programming required.
Be aware that while it could be the DATC, it's usually the DCCV connector, or the other connector in-line near it.

With your PROM?
LOL , computer ( programmable module ). Maybe I should have said ROM......hell I dunno....
The guy who worked on it , using the schematic , determined the ground to the DCCV was interrupted and using a small pin tool bridged 2 of the wires in the multi wire / pin connector and jumped them directly to ground and the AC blew cold. The continuity of the wires going to the DCCV was confirmed at all points / connectors (2 ) and the fault lies internal in the DATC. It was suspected the DCCV failed and caused an internal "short" in the DATC......

PROM = Programmable Read Only Memory
ROM = Read Only Memory

Certainly, there is no PROM in the LS. There may be some boot ROM here and there, but maybe not. The microcontroller in the DATC uses FLASH memory for its program and hard coded parameters. It does not have to be (nor can it be) "coded" to the car.

PROM = Programmable Read Only Memory
ROM = Read Only Memory

Certainly, there is no PROM in the LS. There may be some boot ROM here and there, but maybe not. The microcontroller in the DATC uses FLASH memory for its program and hard coded parameters. It does not have to be (nor can it be) "coded" to the car.
Joe , you've been around here a while now......you helped me the last time......I dont think anyone knows these cars better than you....thanks again!

Members online

Back