Honest opinions on the Lincon LS?!

SC_Steve

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
ok, I've been thinking for a while now and I've always loved how the Lincoln LS's looked... awesome cars IMO. For the past year or so, I've been toying with getting rid of the mark VIII to pick up something newer. I looked at quite a few Mustang GT's... a few Cobras, a camaro, ect.

So I was thinking... maybe It's time to let the Lincoln go and pick something else up. So... give me you're honest opinions for the LS (I mean, who's better qualified than the owners of the cars, right?). Give me you're full "road test/opinion" on the car... it's ups AND downs. How comfortable it is... interior space, trunk space, rear seat room, power, handling, fit and finish, accessability of the dash/controls ect ect ect... What kind of options does it have/get? what kind of fuel economy? What kind of times will it hit stock?

what makes you not like it/or what could Ford have done different? Why do you like it? What are the differences between the years? How expensive is the after market?

thanks guys/gals... just trying to do a little research before jumping into anything.
-Steve :Beer

I took one for a test drive the year they came out, and I can tell you that I liked what I drove. Now, from my understanding they have gotten better, if so, I believe it is an awesome car. I can tell you that I would prolly purchase one if/when I have the money.......just my $.02! :Beer :L

The LS is one of the best balanced cars I have ever drove. Take one out and hammer on it - it's very capable car in the turns and twists.

Pretty good braking, great interior, neat electronic options, ....

It could use more power. It was built to take on the BMWs of the day back in 2000 - won Car of the Year.

Here a clip - >
Lincoln LS : Accolades - The 2003 Lincoln LS has better handling performance than the BMW 540i

Lincoln LS V8 outshines BMW 540i in recent AMCI handling performance tests*
We're excited to announce that the Lincoln LS V8 outperformed the BMW 540i in recent handling performance tests.* The tests were conducted by Automotive Marketing Consultants Incorporated (AMCI), an independent testing firm that mimics actual driving conditions to accurately compare automobile performance. They compared the handling performance of the 2003 Lincoln LS V8 and the 2003 BMW 540i.

The results?
The Lincoln LS V8 out cornered, out slalomed and had better handling performance than the BMW 540i on both wet and dry pavements.
What's behind this performance? The LS V8's rear-wheel drive, Formula 1 inspired sport-tuned suspension and near 50/50 weight distribution combine to provide excellent road grip and steering control. And the all-speed traction control and speed-sensitive, rack-and-pinion ZF steering system work together to ensure controlled braking, accelerating and cornering in various pavement conditions and emergency driving situations.

AMCI also measured acceleration performance. We always knew the LS V8 was fast, but how about 0-60 mph in 6.42 seconds*? The available 280-horsepower V8 engine with variable cam timing and electronic throttle control guarantees a thrilling performance.

With results like these, it's no wonder the new Lincoln LS is the driver's luxury car.

*AMCI-certified testing of the 2003 Lincoln LS V8 and 2003 BMW 540i.

I own an '02 LS8 and it is simply the most comfortable best driving car I have ever driven bar none. You can get them for quite a steal used. They have horrible depreciation so I suggest not buying a new one. The engine, being a small V8, does not have alot of power on tap from idle to about 2800 rpms but once you get to about 3000 rpms she shoots off like a raped ape. Stoplight to stoplight racing for a stock LS is not something they are known for. But at speed and on the highway it has plenty on tap. I have never had it timed so I cannot vouch for trap speed or 1/4 m times. Now for luxury...

Mine has these options:
All the standards like PW,PL are to be expected.
Electronic tilt/telescoping wheel
Fully automatic temp control w/ dual zones
Automatic windshield wipers w/de-ice
Auto-lights
Two memory modes that store seat settings/tilt wheel/mirrors/temp preferences...all activated by key fob or manual selection.
6 disc Alpine stereo with 6 speakers (sounds great)
Automatic dimming rear view mirror w/compass
De-fog for rear window and instrument cluster (kinda goofy but it works by blowing air like the defrost on the front window)
Speed sensitive steering
Info center (i.e. fuel efficiency/air filter/oil status/light check/trac cont check etc.)
Interior Air Filtration system

I average about 17.9 mpg but if you keep your foot out of the floorboard you could probably get close to 20 mpg avg. The trunk is very large and the rear seats can hold a person over 6ft tall with little or no discomfort to front passengers or rear.

The only thing I can think of for ford to do different is to stop being so cheap on the little things (a problem that American cars still have, although they are getting much better year by year). I had the sunshade handle just shatter in my hand one day and a side window defog vent just blew off because the plastic clips broke. However I don't know how much of this was due to the prior owner.

Overall this is an outstanding vehicle which is what it is...a luxo-cruiser...and since I got mine for $27,000.00, it's one of the best deals going right now.

Hope this helps... :L

Steve,

When I was looking for a car back in early 2002 I ran across a used 2001 that was a lease turn in with only 17K miles on it. I had been looking at the BMW 3 series and a Maxima. I drove both cars previous to the test driving the LS. Once I drove it I knew which car I wanted. I did a little research on the LS before I bought it but since it was only a second year car there wasn't much on reliability. I took a chance with buying it not knowing the history of the car. I have to say it's been one of the best cars I've ever owned.

It's had a fair share of time in the shop but my experience has been pleasurable through my dealer. It's Neill-Sandler FLM in Alcoa, TN. I think why I like this car so much is that I have a great dealer to work with. I've had two major problems with my car since I've had it. One was hard starting and the other was the A/C went out. It took about 8 months to get the hard starting issue fixed and I've documented it very well on LLSOC. The outcome was leaky fuel injectors. The dealer replace four of them under warranty and all is well to this date. The A/C unit was part of a recent TSB. The passenger side would get very hot and not blow cool air. The dealer fixed the problem under that TSB and under warranty. Other than those two problems it's been a great car!

What I love best about the car is how well balanced it is. I've added Eibach springs and it's lowered it about 1". The car handles much better than stock so I get even more satisfaction out of the corners and twisties. The ride iis very good for what I've done and it rides just a tad bit rougher than before I lowered it. The ride was not a floating boat with it not lowered though. Very controlled and very comfortable...especially on the highway. One item that I don't like is that the V8 is underpowered. I've added some bolt on performance items like an intake system and cat-back exhaust. It's helped the car tremendously but I think the car needs to be in the 350HP range to really open up its potential as a true luxury sport sedan.

With my performance mods I average around 22 MPG on the highway. I just can't get my foot out of the gas. If you are a conservative driver, unlike me, then you could probably get anywhere from 22-24MPG on the highway and around 19-22MPG around town. Now this is with the V8. It might better with the V6.

The interior space is fine for me other than the lack of storage space. The center console might hold some sunglasses a some pens but that's about it. As for the glove box, it's even less or non-existent with the CD changer. Rear leg room is adequate for this size car but anyone 6' 6" or taller may have a bit of a challenge getting in and out of the rear. I haven't had any complaints from passengers though when they have ridden in my car. Believe me...I have some opinonated friends! It's a very comfortable car on the inside. Fit and finish is a little better with the newer models but it's all subjective.

I've driven a 2002 V6 and a 2003 V8 LS when I had my car in the shop for the two problems above. I can say that the V6 is somewhat underpowered but I'm use to the V8. The V6 handles much better than the V8 though. The 2003 V8 LS I drove was very refined from the 2002 LS's. However, it seemed to lose some character because it was almost "too" refined.

My suggestion would be to test drive one or even better...rent one for the weekend! I can tell you that Lincoln will re-badge the LS in 2007 which is the time for me to look at a new car. When that happens...if Lincoln doesn't have a car equal to or better than the LS I'll be buying a BMW.

cool... thanks guys. keep 'em coming... :D

I'm going to stop by a dealership on the way home tonight and see if I can test drive one. I'm sure I'll be more than happy with it.

BTW... any websites dedicated to the LS? What kind of aftermarket do they have?

SC_Steve said:
cool... thanks guys. keep 'em coming... :D

I'm going to stop by a dealership on the way home tonight and see if I can test drive one. I'm sure I'll be more than happy with it.

BTW... any websites dedicated to the LS? What kind of aftermarket do they have?

Uh, hum! I offer a wide range of aftermarket items for the LS at www.LSKoncepts.com. Mostly cosmetic items now but I'm soon to offer exhaust systems and intakes. I offer a 10% discount to LvC Gold Members on most parts. There is only one website dedicated solely to the LS and it is the Lincoln LS Owners Club (aka LLSOC). They currently are the only ones that offer a production intake system for the Lincoln LS.

Once you drive the LS you'll be wanting one bad! Keep us tuned in!

thanks man... much appreciated.

but man, that other webiste sucks. I can see having to pay to join the club and everything, but you cant even view anything on the website without becoming a member. thats lame as hell... oh well, I'll keep ya's informed. I think I already have my Mark sold... maybe

Lse

SC_Steve said:
ok, I've been thinking for a while now and I've always loved how the Lincoln LS's looked... awesome cars IMO. For the past year or so, I've been toying with getting rid of the mark VIII to pick up something newer. I looked at quite a few Mustang GT's... a few Cobras, a camaro, ect.

So I was thinking... maybe It's time to let the Lincoln go and pick something else up. So... give me you're honest opinions for the LS (I mean, who's better qualified than the owners of the cars, right?). Give me you're full "road test/opinion" on the car... it's ups AND downs. How comfortable it is... interior space, trunk space, rear seat room, power, handling, fit and finish, accessability of the dash/controls ect ect ect... What kind of options does it have/get? what kind of fuel economy? What kind of times will it hit stock?

what makes you not like it/or what could Ford have done different? Why do you like it? What are the differences between the years? How expensive is the after market?

thanks guys/gals... just trying to do a little research before jumping into anything.
-Steve :Beer
I have been driving a much modified 1980 635 Csi I brought back from Germany for more than 22 years now. I have owned many other vehicles over the years, but my 2004 LSE is the closest thing to my BMW in overall feel that I have owned. I have modified my LSE with a KKM Intake and Eibach springs. The only problem I have with the LSE is lack of performance engine mods available. Hopefully, that will change soon.

When I was doing going through my search for a sports luxury car I compared the LS, the Lexus GS, and the BMW 5 series. I also took into consideration what I could spend then considered what I would be getting as far as options and safety gadgets, which are a big concern for me and relay that to the sticker price of the car. Then of course looks and the fun to drive aspect came into play. All I can tell you is that the LS won me over. I have a black 2000 V8 with the sports package with 51k miles and I have not had any major problems. The paint on the car has held up very good and the interior of the car is nice as well. My only complaint now and back then is the car has poor storage space and the quality of the materials is a couple of notches when compares to the Lexus GS and the BMW, but also the price was $10 to 15K dollars less on the LS. The majority of the quality and storage issues have been addressed by Lincoln when they did a major improvements on the car in 2003. They also increased the horsepower as well as the price which I feel was a marketing mistake for the LS. If they had some how manged to keep the car with the same price as before all these improvements, the LS would have even shined more when compared to the GS and 5 series BMW. I wish Ford would have made the LSE a separate model like Cadillac has done with the V series CTS so that they could continue to attract the type of clients that Lincoln wanted to attract at the very beginning. The reason the LS has failed to attract a younger client base is that many still view Lincoln as the older guys brand. Lincoln does not come across as being serious in wanting that customer base. Saying what you want and doing something to make your customer base that is what you are is two different things. I agree with the person who said that the LS needs more horsepower. Even at 280hp it has the smallest V8 (3.9 liters) in its class. The LS needs the 4.6 liter V8 found in the Aviator in order to make it a serious contender in this class. This engine is what Lincoln could offer in the LSE model as standard equipment along with the other exterior and interior modifications it already has. As far as comfort is concern if you can tolerate a little stiffness in the ride, remember this is a sports luxury sedan, the ride is great. If you want a floaty ride then buy a Town Car. There is an article in Motor Trend magazine in regards to pre-owned Lincoln LS's in the November issue and they are rated very good overall. I couldnt agree more. I hope this helps in makeing your decision.

I owned a ’94 Camaro until June, when I upgraded to an ’01 LS8. It was definitely a huge upgrade in every aspect. It has that “soft” Lincoln ride but is still able to corner much better than even the Camaro. I’m 6’-1”, 180 and have no problem with sitting in any seat in the car. Also, the steering wheel moves up and toward the dash and the driver’s seat moves back when you take the key out of the ignition, making it even easier to get in and out of. However, if you’re bigger in the belly region, it may be a little tight. Trunk space is adequate for me, but you definitely won’t confuse it with a Town Car. If you’re going to spend the money, get the V8. It’s not the fastest off the line (especially since it starts in 2nd gear until 60% throttle), but it’s pretty fast once you’re going. Some of the automatic dash controls that you don’t mess with that much (e.g. lights) are kinda hidden, but I don’t have a problem with dash control accessibility. In town, I get about 16 mpg, and on the highway, I get about 24 mpg (usually on cruise). Also, premium fuel is required.
LS has quite a few options. I have the Sport package, sunroof, heated seats, etc. I like the looks of the Sport package better b/c it has less chrome. However, the SST (select shift transmission) is a little sluggish especially after owning a manual.
Overall, I love the car and can’t think of anything I really dislike. I also like having a car that not everyone and their dog owns (you can't go half a block without seeing 37 Mustangs and Camaros). I did a lot of research b/f buying, and I found that a few have had some problems with reliability. However, consumer reports that I found did not reflect that, and I, personally, have not had a hint of a problem. Since I don’t buy new cars, I especially liked that it does not hold resale value well. I was able to pick up a great, low-mileage car for an awesome price. I would definitely suggest the LS.

Ozman,
You should come to STL. I think everyone bought an LS the same day I did. Oh well, I guess that just means I should buy a body kit...and wheels... and well, you get the idea. :L

Info. of LS

LS is a great car; I bought mine (2003 V-8 Sport) in July, saved big bucks buying used, only had 5100 miles on it....runs great, will haul ass....can't understand the guys who "wish it had more power"....if 0-60 in 6.42 seconds isn't fast enough for you, "whaddya want"?....anyway, drives great, handles superbly, is a beautiful auto, nothing but class....Ed. :L

I have had my 2000 LS8 for 3 weeks now, so everything is pretty fresh for me. I like the way the car looks, for the most part, and it is the smoothest driving car I have ever owned. I don't think the 3.9 is bad at all, personally. I think the programming for the transmission and engine is lacking though and (my guess) is the real weak link. There is a definite delay from hitting the gas and going. Once you factor that into your driving, it is fine. I have driven 4 of these cars (2000 and 2001 models) and they all exhibited the same delay. It wasn't enough to stop me from buying one though, but I noticed it immediately. It is just something you get used to. Once the car starts moving, it moves out pretty well. The handling is great, even in the non-sport model to me. I think the interior is of good quality also. If you look at a 2000 model, they usually look great inside, compared to so many other vehicles of the same age.

My other car is a 350rwhp/400rwtq '95 Mustang. That 400 tq number comes in at 2000 rpm, so I am used to plenty of instant power. I spent the big bucks on suspension on the Mustang also which include Bilstein and Steeda parts. I was always happy with the Mustang. It is a smooth driving car that can out-handle and out-speed the bravery/stupidity of it's owner. That being said, after driving the Lincoln for a week and getting back in the Mustang, I thought something had happened to the Mustang while it sat in the garage. It is hard to explain, but the Lincoln will spoil you from other cars. I have full length sub-frame connectors on the Mustang and I felt more flex in that chassis than I do the LS. There is no comparing a pre '05 Mustang to the LS. I love Mustangs, and have owned 8 so no bashing intended.

There is not enough storage space in the interior and the distance from the back seat to the front (how I sit) looks tight, but no complaints from passengers. I really was only concerned about the fit for my 2yr old son, and he will have a ton of room. I am getting 19 mpg which is mainly city driving.

I wish I could give you an opinion based on driving BMWs or Lexus, but I am still too cheap to pay that much money. :)

I also love the LS. Like everyone else already said it handle like a dream. I only have one complaint. It has a little bit more road noise than a Lincoln should.

nice... thanks again guys :Beer

I didn't get a chance to drive one yesterday but hopefully in the next few days I'll get the chance. I already found a real nice 01 LS V8 my buddy is trying to get sent to his dealership for me.

cream with grey leather fully loaded :)

I'll let ya know how it goes.
-Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.
Back