Home ownership; what was I thinking

Warden

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So last night I hear running water coming from the basement - oh chit.
The sump pump has been pumping water into a clogged line and spewing all over. Luckily I was home and heard this quickly. I was able to shut off the pump and attach a new clamp to keep the water in the pipe. I then plugged in the pump to see if the pressure would push out any blockage. No luck.
I do not think it's ice as it's been warm and the 4 feet of snow in my yard is slowly melting so it freezing lately doesn't seem likely, possible but not likely.
I think an animal got into the drain line (4" round corrugated pipe).

Here's how the pipe system is configured (it's not the smartest design)
THe pump pumps from the sump pump hole up a 2" PVC to about 12" above grade outside. The pipe then turns 90 to go out the concrete wall and is exposed outside above ground. It then 90's again and goes into the concrete slap for the back stairs. It then 90's again in the concrete. Then I am not sure exactly how but it then turns another 90 degrees and increases to a 4" corrugated pipe and collects the down spouts from the gutter system. I know for a fact that the installer used all 't' fittings not 'y' fittings so getting a snake down one of the downspout lines is out of the question. I think I am going to have to dig up where I think it transitions to the 4" corugated and cut the line. This is under my deck and I could install a 'y' and run the pipe up to above grade and install a cap and use as a future clean out.
I could then get a long heavy duty snake into the large pipe and use a smaller snake inside of the 2" pvc with the really close and tight bends.
This will be a temporary fix, I thnk I will spend some time and money to dig up the connections and put in 'y' piping and possible heat trace the portion above ground.
Oh, and maybe I should install a grate over the exit of the pipe to stop anything form going up there in the fisrt place. IF ONLY I HAD DONE THIS OVER THE SUMMER LIKE I HAD PLANNED AND FORGOT. Such a dumb ass. And now I get to payfor it.

Disconnect all power, which can be a plug next to the pump or pit. Power can also be coming from an electrical panel. In this case, follow the electrical line to the electrical control panel and disconnect. You must be sure that all power is off.

Uncover the pit if it has a cover. If the pit is full of water, use a flood pumper to empty the pit.

Unscrew and remove the clamp, if it has one, under the check valve. The check valve is part of the piping system above the pump. If the pipe between the check valve and the pump doesn't have a clamp, cut the pipe with a hand saw under the check valve to remove the pump from the pit.

Turn the pump upside down and check the impeller for obstruction.

Remove the obstruction and turn the pump right side up. Be extra cautious to not touch any cables with wet hands.

Turn on the power while the pump is outside of the pit. If the pump works, put everything back. If the pump doesn't work, disconnect the power again and purchase a new pump.

Tie the pipe back with the original clamp after it has been determined that the pump is working. If the pipe is cut, use a no-hub clamp according to the size of the pipe to tie the pipe back.

Make sure the pit is clean and turn the power on.

Pump works fine. There is an obstruction down the line outside of the house.

I tried to hammer into the ground with a shovel and a pick but it is frozen.
I ran down to the Home Depot and picked up 50' of hose and connected the new hose to the outlet after the check valve. I clamped it all down and ran the new hose to my second sump pump o the other side of the house. Now pump #1 will fill up sump hole #2 and pump #2 will discharge.
The second pump discharges further down the line of the first pumps pipe outside of the house. So the clog is somewhere outside of the house between the pump 1 exit location and the tie in point of pump #2. Everything is 'T' fittings so a snake is not an option.
I will have to leave this temporary band-aid fix untill I can dig up all the fittings and replace with proper 'Y' type fittings. I will also install a clean out in the main straight line that I can use a large snake through and clean out the obstacle. I can then use a smaller snake on the small and tighter bend radius pipe.

Members online

No members online now.
Back