Hit a deer with my 2002 LSE (black)

northstar11

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I have had weeks that went better than this one has so far. Comming home from the airport I hit a deer, the thing popped up out of the weeds, never gave me a chance. My insurance is not covering it, so any repairs are on me.
Unfortunately I am not a motor head, and dont have the time or ability to fix it, and I'm affraid a garage would be far to costly.
Thought I would check with the good ol' LS community to see if anyone would like a project car.

Here are the details:

2002 Lincoln LSE V8 black on black, 124xxx miles (have owned it since 75xxx, about 3 years)
Everything is stock except the exhaust. I replaced the engine gaskets and all 8 coils right around the 100k mark. One month ago I replaced the clock spring, and front ball joints, as well as new tires on the front. (recently inspected) I always ran Mobile1 synthetic.

The only issue I had with it at the time of the accident was the airbag wire under the drivers seat, triggering the airbag light.

The deer hit on the front right corner, It dint feel like it hit that hard, but it was a fairly large deer. would need new hood, bumper and right fender, radiator is pushed back some, not sure about the fans? I shut the engine off right after impact, and towed it from there. I just started it tonight for about 20 seconds, and the engine ran strong with no extra noises.

All stock interior, Alpine sound system is crisp, it was getting dark, but I can get more pictures if someone is interested. Airbags did not deploy.

Truly the nicest car I have ever owned, it was heartbreaking. Take a look at the pictures and make me offers. My mechanic that looked at it thought around 2500 in parts would be needed, but he is not real familure with these cars. It is located in Ephrata, PA, right off the turnpike. Clean title in hand.

Thanks guys, and please drive save.

-Paul

link to photo album: http://s1155.photobucket.com/albums/p543/paullmartin/

Sorry to hear of the unfortunate mishap. That looked like a clean LS man.

Sorry to hear/see about your troubles Paul.

~ deer that illigally crossed the road did not have any insurance ?

I mean, who's at fault here, damn wildlife.

I've clipped one with my work truck before early in the morning but it got underneath the right side
and got caught up in the fairings, spit it out after the last set of trailer axles.

Company replaced 2 pieces of fairings and we power sprayed the rest off.

That sucks. :( it really does not look like that much damage. If you are selling good luck! Hope you didn't get hurt at all.

That was my thoughts, I think it looks very fixable, but I just dont have the time or the know-how to get it done.

So yes, I am looking for someone to buy the thing whole.

Automatic, at least for me, 06 bumper conversion candidate car.

Glad you are okay! They can go right through the windshield. Even the ABS module is pushed back. I'd just be concerned about whether the control arm is pushed back too and if it can be aligned properly before throwing body panels at it. You could measure the wheelbase on each side with the wheels pointed straight. Will you be able to install a new headlight properly?
Would look great with 06 front bumper and rest of the LSE kit.

So sorry man, the damage looks minor (relatively speaking), however sometimes with damage like this it's always the stuff that looks minor that ends up being way worse than it looks. Any plans on replacing your LS with another LS?

My question here is why isn't the insurance covering it, unless you're just running liability? My insurance company has covered a few deer hits on my vehicles. My kids learned the hard way why they need to pay attention to the road.

So sorry man, the damage looks minor (relatively speaking), however sometimes with damage like this it's always the stuff that looks minor that ends up being way worse than it looks. Any plans on replacing your LS with another LS?

Actually, it looks pretty extensive to me. The radiator support is bent and possibly broken.

Yes, I had liability only. I had a couple speeding tickets on my record, and was paying over 3k a year for full coverage.

I could check on the wheelbase measurement. After I shut the engine off I let it roll for a few hunred feet and it seemed to roll straight and stearing was no issue. But yeah, you never know.

As far as my replacement, I do alot of highway miles, so I was thinking about getting something with better mpg. Looking at a 2.8L Audi. I would LOVE to see someone put the 06 LSE bumper on and make something out of this car. It has been such a good car for me, it kills me to see it scrapped.

If you want better MPGs and lower insurance, consider a Toyota Corolla until you get your insurance cleared. They'll get 25-30MPG depending on how you drive (at least the ones I bought my kids did) and will flat out take a hit. My son went around a corner too fast and ran into a Nissan 4x4 pickup with his 2000 model. It was one of the little ones but had the lift kit, oversize tires and the like. He knocked the driver side front wheel clean off the Nissan, and it had to be towed home. I drove the Corolla home, it drove straight and even the AC worked on it. He also had three of his friends in the car (which I think contributed to the going too fast). 1000 dollars later it looked brand new again too. After his accident his full coverage insurance for a teenager was about 900 every 6 months. That was with him on my policy, with coverage levels to protect my assets since it was my policy and "my" car. If he'd had his own policy with state minimums, it would likely have been 600 every 6 months even after the accident. It's not a chick magnet, not a luxurious car, but the power to weight ratio is OK and they're fun little cars to drive. It would do what you want until your tickets go off your record.

Incidentally, radar detectors rule. I'd have lost my license dozens of times over without one. :D You just have to remember that they are just an extra set of eyes and not a cloaking device. The cops can still see you, and occasionally all it'll do is confirm that you're about to be pulled over because they are not infallible.

Do not scrap it!! LOL. Part it out. And put me at the front of the line for what I Wop now call backup body pieces. :)

Yes, I had liability only. I had a couple speeding tickets on my record, and was paying over 3k a year for full coverage.

I could check on the wheelbase measurement. After I shut the engine off I let it roll for a few hunred feet and it seemed to roll straight and stearing was no issue. But yeah, you never know.

As far as my replacement, I do alot of highway miles, so I was thinking about getting something with better mpg. Looking at a 2.8L Audi. I would LOVE to see someone put the 06 LSE bumper on and make something out of this car. It has been such a good car for me, it kills me to see it scrapped.

What about a Cobalt SS? Gets over 30 MPG, pretty quick, nice looking. Friend has one thought it was a POS at first, but it's nice. Or if you want just strictly MPG what about the Cruize, I think that gets 42 or higher. I was actually thinking about purchasing a Cruize since I do drive a lot and I'm tired of only averaging 20-22 (factoring in the bit of city I drive) and having to pay for super. I wouldn't get rid of the LS, it would just be my weekend car :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back