High Stall Torque Converter

Can you adjust the lock-up strategy with the SCT tuner? I hate the way that thing locks at 40 mph. Takes the wind out of the sails.

they tried tuning on my LS with the SCT with little success. It could be months before the shift strategies are nailed down well enough to send out. I did learn the the SST and auto shift strategies are in different tables so if you can stand to go through the rigors of testing out tunes they could just hack on the SST side without touching the auto shift side.

If you are going to put in a 2,800 rpm + stall on the car, then you should increase the rear end gear ratio too so that you get the full affect. To help keep the trans from burning up you can put in a larger trans cooler...

For the effect, one of our guys in our group runs an 2002 Trans AM (LS1) w/ an auto... He added a 3500 rpm stall, 4.30 gear, full exhaust (headers, x pipe and catback) and threw on a set of Mickey Thompson ET Street Tires.... Tuning was through the hand held Hypertech. He nailed a 12.30 in the 1/4 mile at Route 66 in Joliet. Granted, the stock exhaust on these cars on completely restrictive, but the stall/gear still made a world of difference...

Also, on my 91 Mustang, that car woke up w/ a 3,000 rpm stall and a 3.73 gear.

So, yes, a stall with a matching rear end gear will help.

i have to agree on the gears, i had a 91 GT with the AOD tranny which came with stock 2.73 gears.....swapped out to 3.55's to keep my mileage decent and it made a tremendous low end difference

Isbit said:
Can you adjust the lock-up strategy with the SCT tuner? I hate the way that thing locks at 40 mph. Takes the wind out of the sails.

What do you mean that it locks up at 40mph?

LBK_LS said:
What do you mean that it locks up at 40mph?

What I mean by lock-up is when the converter goes from slip mode for acceleration, to direct drive for fuel economy and heat buildup prevention.

That was a simplistic way of typing it, but is where mine usually locks upon normal driving in D4. The lock-up strategy depends on load, speed, rpm, etc...However, I always notice in mine and my wife's LS when the lock-up converter is enabled. It is not a smooth shift feeling, but more of a "lugging" feeling. I notice it more when in D4. If you take your foot of the throttle and re-apply like trying to optimize certain hills and curves, which is a lot of my trip, you can feel the re-enagement every time. The RPM of the instance I am talking about goes from about 2200 to 1600 from unlocked to lock. That puts a load on the engine where you are testing you coils and plugs. :) I don't mind the upshifting otherwise. Downshifting is another story. I have to hit the throttle and wait 3 seconds for the transmission to get in a gear where I can make a move. Must be that synchronized shift crap this trans does 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th that makes it sluggish downshifting.

I am just a little picky after driving my 5 spd Mustang as a daily driver for the last couple of months. This LS can handle the curves pretty well, especially for what it is, but it is hard to match the speed coming in and out of corners with the auto sometimes. My wife gets me car sick when she drives her LS on the same roads. Brake-accel-brake-brake-brake-accel-brake-accel-accel-brake. :eek:

Ok...I am rambling now...

Members online

No members online now.
Back