High output alternator

Hotrodham

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently put in my system and have looked all over for a high output alternator. DC power, mechman and irragi dont seem to have them for a 02 ls v8. anyone know of where i could get one?

running a 15" EMF Ermagerd, will be running a Sundown 5k or NS-1 at 1 ohm, I have 2 XS power d3100s in the back.

You're in for some disappointment here...
Very few have had success with any sort of aftermarket alternator on the gen I LS.

Not being an audiophile, I wouldn't know anything about how many RMS watts those produce, which would be more helpful. The only thing I recognize is "Ermagerd" is Berks for "Oh my God"

ermahgerd-mershed-perderders.jpg

ermahgerd-mershed-perderders.jpg

Isn't there a whole thread on HO alternators?????

Good luck finding one that works with a Gen I LS. I could be wrong here, but if I remember correctly the first gen's alternators were regulated by the PCM, I could be wrong but I recall reading a small bit about it. I'm sure more knowledgeable members can highlight on this if I am indeed incorrect.

Send it back and tell them it didn't work like they said it would. Unless you want to install it and see for yourself.

and its a stock voltage alt. just puts out more amps. if thats what you guys' problem was

The hugely popular G series of large case 3 phase alternators have been tried and true for over 15 years. These units offer excellent low RPM output, with 100,000 mile durability. The 270 amp versions of these units utilize custom designed solid copper rectifier plates with 6 or more press fit high amp diodes for outstanding durability in commercial or recreational vehicles. These units utilize heavy duty regulators and premium NTN bearings, and are available for a wide variety of vehicles. Non-PCM controlled versions are compatible with the adjustable voltage boost module.

http://www.mechman.com/alternators/...00-02-lincoln-ls-240a-high-output-alternator/

When the PCM controls your alternators output I dont see how any HO alternator could work. At best, they will just work like a factory alternator. The 3 or 4 HO alternators I have tried have not worked when the manufacturer said they would. Just my experience, good luck.

Hotrodham, Don't take our word for it! (seriously, you're already not taking any advice from those of us that have felt this pain)

This is a PCM controlled alt with AS-RC-LI signals. The PCM directly controls the field current. This is also a small case 6g, not a large case. A large case won't be installable in the stock location, but feel free to try. Changing the rotor and stator for high amp units will FAIL because the PCM still instructs the same field current, which is now far too little to generate the appropriate voltage. The PCM does NOT regulate solely on system voltage, but also on ESTIMATED load. That lets it lower the field current - thus the alternator output, but more importantly the alternator power - at idle.

There's a lot of neat info here, and I've been neck deep in it the past couple of weeks. Your posts are parroting a vendor's general statements instead of learning from the members here, which is insulting. The vendor's stuff works fine - for other cars.

This is not an alternator from the 70's.

If you're actually serious about your sound system, then install a second independent alternator. I've only seen one or two mentions of someone doing it, so you'll have to get creative.

Gunna have to go with the dual alt route by the looks of it. Where abouts would the best placement be?

Gunna have to go with the dual alt route by the looks of it. Where abouts would the best placement be?

wherever you fabricator can make one fit...

easiest place would be to replace the AC compressor with it

Convert your hydraulic fan setup to an electric fan and put the secondary alternator where the fan pump was located. This will require some custom brackets.

i read threw every page you guys linked and from what i understood the 220amp mechman alternator was plug n play on both occasions. I even went to the SMD page and read through the build log that was posted on one of the threads.

For those sticking with the stock alternators...

I have the Gen1 LSV8 and I'm running (2 amps) @ roughly 1000-watts. No 2nd Battery and No High-capacity Capacitors.
But I am running a slightly Beefer battery and running 0-AWG to a 250amp circuit breaker and 4-AWG wires all properly
blocked, distributed, fused, and grounded. And just as long as you never, ever turn your high-end stereo on without the
engine running... you should be fine.

Lastly, when replacing a bad, faulty alternator through your local shops (ie... Firestone, Sears, Goodyear, etc...); Although
that shop may replace the alternator with one of their own and "guarantee's" a lifetime warranty "no questions asked" you
may want to get the manager's name, date, and his signature. And make sure that they are aware of the aftermarket stereo
system prior to guarantee-ing your purchase.

I went through a 2-hour long debate with my local Firestone before they would honor the guarantee and replace the Alternator
(they installed just 6 months earlier). Then stipulated "in writing afterward" they would no longer guarantee vehicles with any
aftermarket stereo installations through Firestone.

Sears and my (gold series Die-hard) almost gave me the same story ...telling me there is "too many" wires at the trunk and they
were worried of getting electrocuted or damaging my system. Then the idiot 21yrs. tech said, he would not perform any diagnosis
because he wouldn't be able to verify to why the battery was not capable of holding +12volts, and couldn't replace an undiagnosed
battery. I called him an idiot !! I told him to perform a electrolyte check at each of 6 cells and if any showed a reading of less then
+2.1 volts (or +1.1 volts per each 12 cells) then the idiot tech has two choices: Attempt and recharge the dead battery cell or just
replace the damn battery !! It's not a rocket ship !! It's a 12 volt battery, either it does or doesn't hold a charge !!! JEEEZZUZZZ !!
Where do they find these people ???

Members online

Back