High Idle

cadillackman

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Last week I cleaned out my MAF and throttle body and now it's idling high. Normally, it idles at around 600 and now it's at 800-900. No CEL. Any ideas?

Maybe thats why the throttle body says do not clean? What did you use to clean them?

I'm sure your not retarded, but it is nice to rule out the simple things.

Did you remove the throttle body when you cleaned it?

No, you may not get a CE light. These cars are not good at picking that up.

I'm just learning, but if you removed it you need to replace the gasket right? Would that create a higher idle?

You only need to repalce the gasket if you damage the old one. As long as there is a decent gasket on the throttle body it would not cause any idle issues.

Maybe when you were cleaning the tb you stirred up some gunk in the intake and the IAC?

The throttle body its not suppose to be adjusted. Sounds like a vacuum leak though.

ok, I AM retarded, I forgot to tighten the intake clamp back at the airbox. But, in my defense the valve cover breather hose that runs into the air intake tube was dry rotted so I replaced it(check yours, it's probly bad too). I've concluded that the hose was the culprit & not the fact that I shut my hood without checking my work:D . Thanks for the help. Also, if this thread was deleted to save space on the site, that would be great:) .

After taking apart the airbox I saw that my MAF was a little dusty but I didn't wanna touch it and screw anything up, now I put it back together and its fine in drive, but after parking it for a few minutes it gradually goes into really rough idles, kinda like a fat kid after running a mile, panting, if you can imagine that. the rpms drop down to about 500, and each second lurch to 600 then when I put it in drive its fine again.

First, should I clean the MAF? And if so, with the electric contact cleaner?
Second, could it be the iac? I heard this is a biotch to change on my 93 as well

Rev, sounds more like the IAC than the MAF. But its always a good idea to clean the MAF every now and then and its pretty easy to do.

Members online

Back