HID projector retrofit

MooJohn

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, I'm the second person to do this swap. It was a huge PITA but well worth it in the end.

These are the Morimoto Mini Stage III bi-xenon kit (4300k bulbs, 35 watt) from TheRetrofitSource - $270 for everything. The first step is to put the headlight in your oven for 12 mins at 225 degrees -- once you find an oven large enough to hold our giant light!

Unlike most cars, you won't remove the lens itself but instead the reflector housing comes off. It took a lot of prying / pulling but it will eventually give way. Then you're left with this:

light1.jpg

In that picture I've already moved the bulb shield. The projector is simply inserted in the hole where the bulb went and is held in place by a large retaining nut. This perfectly locates the projector without any cutting and allows the stock aiming screws to function.

lightinstalled.jpg

I used black silicone around the edge of the assembly and pressed it back together. Then I laid another seal of silicone around the perimeter. Better safe than sorry!

assembled.jpg

Naturally it was dark *and* misting rain by the time I finished but here's what it looks like in the car:

inthecar.jpg

And an awful test of the resulting cutoff (better pic is somewhere -- I'll find it asap. Please ignore the junk!):

pattern.jpg

that looks awesome i think i'd like the 6000k ..... maybe in april, add it too the list , along with the puddle lights

an american indian saying :eek:nly a white man can cut a foot off the end of a blanket and add it to the top and think it is longer

More pics!

Nice wide beam pattern. Don't worry - it's the building that's crooked, not the lights :D

rear1.jpg

From behind the wheel:
behindwheel.jpg

They aren't that bright in the center. These are phone pics so it doesn't handle the output as well as a dedicated camera would. See how bright the LED tails are?

Animated gif of low/high:
hilow.gif

At one point you could get them from ONEBADMK8 here on the forum but he may not have them in stock anymore.

Members online

Back