Hi from Germany

Schaefft

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, I got the great idea to buy a Lincoln Mark VIII with gasprices at like 8$ around here. :D

I always loved the cars styling and finally decided to get one which is harder than it might sound. Reasonably priced Mark VIIIs in good condition are incredibly rare here (they never sold them in europe) so I had luck when a pretty nice example with only 101k miles came up on the internet not too far from me. Its a 95 non LSC model, the color seems to be "Champagne" with "saddle" interior. Would have preferred a black LSC but meh, I wanted to have a pre-facelift model tho which I got. The last owner was an older guy who seemed to take care of the car, looks like the last thing he bought for it was the air ride compressor. The dealer I bought it from seems to be specialized in BMWs but they have a Hummer renting business as well, thats probably the reason why they took the car to see whether it makes sense to sell more of them. Turns out nobody wanted to buy it (there have been 2 or 3 guys looking at it to get some cheap "performance" car but the dealer was looking for someone who at least knows a thing or two about these, so no sell). Good for me, I got it for thousands less and seems like its in great condition.

With one exception. I noticed the cars transmission sometimes shudders at around 50mph under "mild" acceleration, its probably the transmission fluid that needs to get changed. At least I guess thats the problem. http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/archive/index.php/t-1679.html Heres the description how it should be done (including the accumulator fix which would make sense here as well I guess) http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/1_2_Accumulator_paper.htm

Anything to add there, something I should know? Also, if theres anyone active here from outside the states, any useful links to shops or websites with cheap/fast shipping?:D

The cars still at the dealers lot right now, unfortunately I do not have the time to take pictures or register it right now, those will probably follow at the end of the month. Got some photos the dealer took though.

No mods planned, I bought it because I love the Mark VIII, not because I wanna mod the crap out of it. I might look for some LSC rims and maybe anything (better swaybars?) that could improve the cars handling later. I dont wanna get rid of the air suspension though.

Thanks for reading, Im sure the board will help me with tons of problem thatll turn up sooner or later.

22_1.jpg

22_5.jpg

22_7.jpg

22_4.jpg

22_3.jpg

22_12.jpg

22_14.jpg

22_15.jpg

Shouldnt be hard to get parts on the internet like most people probably would. The big difference are the horrendous shipping costs, I gotta plan carefully when I buy my stuff (for example if other people in the "local" community plan to get parts at the same shop we can share those shipping costs). Of course all this will take ages, too so Im not sure yet if Ill use it as dd.

Welcome to LvC!

Actually, it appears that you may have a 94 model instead of a 95. The 95's had a slightly different dash layout with a larger double-DIN stereo opening. Of course, it's possible someone did a dash swap at some point, but typically most people are swapping 95-96 dashes into 93-94 models instead of the other way around.

Anyway, that is a great color combination! My parents had a 94 with that exact same exterior and interior color (or VERY similar) back in the 90's, and I'd love to come across another for sale locally in that color now. Of course, I'm partial to black Mark VIII's as well (especially since I used to own a black on black 93).

Thanks! Yeah, it could be a '94, it was registered first in '95 and afaik they sold 1995 MY cars in late 94 as well (like pretty much everyone) so I wasnt sure. There arent many differences except some colors between those 2 years tho, right?

Also how long until a moderator doesnt have to check my posts anymore lol.

EDIT: ah, I see it works, only have to wait for my previous post now :D

Tranny issue might be fluid but could also be the Torque converter. See what happens after you do a fluid flush if it continues it's the TC. (Been there done that).

I parted out a Mark and sold most of the parts on eBay, many to a guy in Spain. Shipping wasn't too bad, higher but not unreasonable as so it seemed.

Good Luck ... have fun with the car. Let us know how it does on the Autobahn ...

Any tips on how I can get the last drop of transmission fluid out of every corner? I read Mercon V is the way to go and I doubt the old fluid was changed before so Id have to get all of the old stuff out. Afaik you cant mix both fluids and I cant imagine getting the last rest of the old mercon fluid out of every part by just draining it?

I took a test drive on the autobahn before I bought it btw. Ofcourse there are still sections with speed limits and traffic, but cant believe how fast I was at like 110. And that V8 sound...

I once had a 94 Mark that did the same thing and a fuid change and accumulator fixed it. Id change it to Mercon V.

Thx guys, just fearing that I might f*ck up the transmission if it mixes with the old fluid left in there after draining. Or isnt it that big of a deal?

sometimes a fluid change will flush a lot of dirt out and clog things up.
but if the fluid in it looks ok right now (not burnt smelling or really dark), you probably wont hurt anything.

sometimes a fluid change will flush a lot of dirt out and clog things up.
but if the fluid in it looks ok right now (not burnt smelling or really dark), you probably wont hurt anything.

Very True ... I was once told by a Ford tech ... if the Ford 4R70W tranny is working don't mess with it ...

Hm, since there is that shudder problem that seems to be quite common with these transmissions I wont have a choice but change it.

Yes you should do the flush if you have the shudder ... from what I know the flush was started by ford to correct this problem. Don't forget you need to change the filter and clean out the pan.

But if it continues then I'd put money on the TC is going.

Just got an idea from another youtube video, buying more new transmission fluid than needed and fill up the transmission for the first time, driving it for a day or less, flushing it again and filling it up a second time should remove pretty much any old fluid that would be left in there, just to make sure. Id have to pay a bit more for that extra transmission fluid, but could save me the trouble of getting a new transmission which could get very expensive here.

Willkommen bei lincoln vs den cadilac, schöne marke und nur 101k auf der Uhr, rast sie noch eine Jungfrau, und kein ich kein Deutsch sprechen gehen sie google translator!

Thanks! Yeah, it could be a '94, it was registered first in '95 and afaik they sold 1995 MY cars in late 94 as well (like pretty much everyone) so I wasnt sure. There arent many differences except some colors between those 2 years tho, right?

Also how long until a moderator doesnt have to check my posts anymore lol.

EDIT: ah, I see it works, only have to wait for my previous post now :D

Nice! car looks clean! the only differences I know of between the 94-95 model years were the different exterior colors, the dash was different, some 94s had black window/doorlock buttons, color keyed shifter knobs instead of black, rear bumper had no exhaust cutouts and different exhaust tips..I'm sure there's more that I may not know about too..

Welcome! That's a good looking color! Very subtle, sleeper look. And clean I may add.... looks like you got a good one.

Members online

No members online now.
Back