Hesitation/stutter problem

soduka

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
First thing in the morning after the car has completely cooled down it will take a while to start and feel very sluggish, sometimes even stalling out once. However, every time without fail if I start the car, turn it off, and then restart it, all these problems go away until the car sits for more than 3 hours or so.

Spark plugs changed, new fuel filter, new spark plug boots, new alternator and good battery. I just can't figure out the problem. Could it possibly be some sort of fuel delivery problem?

Seems to be the fuel pump alright. Doesn't seem so scary to swap in a new unit but then again nothing ever goes right on this car when fixing it.

So what's a good fuel pump and where can I find it these days?

Didn't someone do a write-up on dropping the tank and r&r the pump? I can't seem to find it.

So what's a good fuel pump and where can I find it these days?

first gen, 255 lph walbro. (i have a walbro knock off. and its been fine. others haven't been so lucky.)
2nd gen. focus green top pump.

first gen, 255 lph walbro. (i have a walbro knock off. and its been fine. others haven't been so lucky.)
2nd gen. focus green top pump.

Any Idea where the 96 falls. would it be the walbro or the focus ? sometimes its hard to tell with these half models. we get gen 1 looks but we have to use gen 2 headers. go figure.

No, mine still 'works', it's just weak and won't hold the pressure after the car sits, it seems. Been this way for a while. I assume this job is 100x easier when there's 2 gallons in the tank as opposed to 19.

i did mine a little while ago, not too bad
eh, here's sort of a write-up
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?87866-DTC-P0232-fuel-pump
78 replies, that's prolly about 50 too many :shifty:
..they often go out with a full tank for some reason....was yours?
---
I got this Bosch online for less than 200..no probs thus far
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BOSCH-6...s=Model:Mark+VIII&hash=item25622bf8fd&vxp=mtr
same pump is like over 400 at Summit

It looks like you didn't drop the exhaust? Did you just lower the passenger side and that was enough to get access to it?

I def dropped the exhaust, a few bolts at the back and had to cut one steel pencil rod support (got it re-welded later on); I can't imagine doing the job w/out dropping exhaust, I think some guys leave the drv side heat shield in place however. Before this I only had little 2 ton jack stands. I needed and bought larger ones for this job, glad I got em now.
I freed up the entire tank, then dipped the pass side enough to get on it. One mistake I made was disconnecting bith sides of the hose that connects the two sides of the tank, when I reassembled, I left that hose resting on the driveshaft which burned a hole in it, so when I filled the tank, it poured out onto the ground :lol: - don't do that; also be very careful with the fuel lines where they connect to the pump. Kinking would be a major fkup
---
ifn you don't already have a factory service manual, this job is a great excuse to get one: 30-40 bux well spent

when I reassembled, I left that hose resting on the driveshaft which burned a hole in it, so when I filled the tank, it poured out onto the ground :lol: - don't do that; also be very careful with the fuel lines where they connect to the pump.

I did the same thing when I replaced my pump, line resting on ds. Had to re-do it again...learn, learn, learn.

My 93 has these symptoms too, but doesn't stall out. How long does a pump typically last if it's doing this?

Seems to be the fuel pump alright. Doesn't seem so scary to swap in a new unit but then again nothing ever goes right on this car when fixing it.

I'm probably going to need to do the pump in my '94 soon... and as bad as this may sound, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this sort of experience every time I go to fix something...

Any Idea where the 96 falls. would it be the walbro or the focus ? sometimes its hard to tell with these half models. we get gen 1 looks but we have to use gen 2 headers. go figure.

i do not know. not sure i've ever seen definitive info on that subject. i looked around for it a little as well.
Driller has a white 96 with some mods. he may know.

you can just dump the EGR in the tune and cap it if you don't want to use 2nd gen headers. i think egr is the difference. something like that.

Members online

No members online now.
Back