Help With Traction Control On 04 Lincoln LS

PATRON

New LVC Member
Reaction score
So here's the deal, I got an 04 Lincoln LS V6 and I am unable to turn off the TCS and AdvanceTrac system. I hold the switch for 10 seconds and it lights on indicating to me that it is Off but nothing comes on the dash displaying me it has been disabled and is not letting me accelerate the way its supposed to. Any thoughts?

I don't recall because I normally just leave it be but I don't believe there is an indicator light on the dash when it's off. Just the message then the light on the button itself will be on saying it's on.

Explain not accelerating the way it's supposed to. When in doubt, replace all the coils and plugs.

Welcome to the elite corps of LS owners lol.

Thanks for the welcome jmtiseo. By not accelerating correctly I mean that the car won't let me accelerate at all while I am turning, not even if I'm flooring it. It will then start accelerating when I straighten the car out. Also it is very sluggish on the takeoff. Coils and sparkplugs have been replaced, check engine light is off, everything is perfect. Thanks for your help :)

Yep, this is out of my very small realm of what I know about this car, I'm learning though. Turning it off shouldn't result in that affect from my experiences playing with it.

Apparently, it is not possible to turn traction control completely off if you have advancetrac. You can turn the advancetrac part off, but you have to just press and release the button, not hold it ten seconds like on a Jag.

Thanks for replying joegr, here's the reading from the owners manual (p.196) on how to turn it off:
"Pressing the control once will disable the AdvanceTrac stability
enhancement and the engine power reduction portion of the traction
enhancement feature; the brake portion of the traction enhancement
feature will still function normally. Pressing and holding the control for
more than five seconds will disable the AdvanceTrac stability
enhancement and traction enhancement feature. If the vehicle is stuck
in snow or mud or when driving in deep sand, switching off the
AdvanceTrac system may be beneficial so the wheels are allowed to
spin."

Thanks for replying joegr, here's the reading from the owners manual (p.196) on how to turn it off:
"Pressing the control once will disable the AdvanceTrac stability
enhancement and the engine power reduction portion of the traction
enhancement feature; the brake portion of the traction enhancement
feature will still function normally. Pressing and holding the control for
more than five seconds will disable the AdvanceTrac stability
enhancement and traction enhancement feature. If the vehicle is stuck
in snow or mud or when driving in deep sand, switching off the
AdvanceTrac system may be beneficial so the wheels are allowed to
spin."

Yes, I'm well aware of what the manual says. Mine says that too. I have the V8, so I have the message center. Pressing and holding the the button does not result in a message (such as traction control off) on the message center. Pressing briefly does result in an AdvanceTrac off message.
I think that the manual indicates the way they intended it to work, but not the way that it actually does.

They must have changed advancetrac on gen II then. My gen 1 does not apply brakes or cut engine power when you turn it off and it goes off with a single button press. It will briefly say advancetrac on or off in the message center if you have one. The light only comes on in the dash when the system is on and actively making adjustments to correct what it thinks is the car losing control. IIRC it measures throttle input, steering input, all 4 wheel speeds, and possibly some others.

When you say it won't accelerate out of a corner, is it spinning the inside rear wheel? With an open differential, you won't accelerate if your spinning one of the tires. If the gen II advancetrac is different as you described and disables stability functions with a single button press, but still leaves traction functions (braking applied to a spinning wheel) enabled, then this would help you in that situation. By applying braking to that one spinning wheel, the differential then will power the other wheel. However, I'm not sure if the system will still perform these traction functions without cutting engine power, or if it even works in that two-stage mode at all.

Thanks for the info guys, in response to 02LincLS: I haven't had a moment where the power is cut because the power never happens while turning. I have the wheels brake once when I just thrashed it into a curve while it was raining. I was expecting over-steer but the advancetrac put me back in line with the road. It's a very impressive system but it's getting too much in the way of the driving. Gen 1 is more easy to disable but apparently Ford made gen 2 too safe :p

Thanks for the info guys, in response to 02LincLS: I haven't had a moment where the power is cut because the power never happens while turning. I have the wheels brake once when I just thrashed it into a curve while it was raining. I was expecting over-steer but the advancetrac put me back in line with the road. It's a very impressive system but it's getting too much in the way of the driving. Gen 1 is more easy to disable but apparently Ford made gen 2 too safe :p

I think that you must have some problem other than the traction control / AdvanceTrac. Those systems are reactive and won't kick in until after wheel spin or sliding starts. It's an LS, so start with the coils.

I can't get my check advancetrack light from continually blinking... Please help !!!
2005 Lincoln ls v8

well I guess that's a little more info than you gave us in your new thread...

still gonna need a little more than that...

I will give you a virtual high five for searching though!

hell, I'll give it a shot going in blind...

do you have a scan tool that can read the codes that would give us a clue as what the actual problem is?

hint: if not, your probably gonna need to find somebody that does or you're really not going to be able to get much help at all

is there any information you can give us at all?
does the ABS function?
does the speedometer function?
how old is the battery?

Members online

No members online now.
Back