Help with tire choice

wellby

LVC Member
Reaction score
It has come time to replace the tires on my 94 mk8. I was looking for 245/55/16 bt the are no available, but the local tire place recomended the general graber uhp. He said that if 245 will fit the 255 will fit. My car is lowered 1.5 inches on the coil conversion. The tire is 255/55/16, it's rated as a light truck tire but it doesn't look like one. Any other choices in that size, I don't want low profile tires they look funny and make the ride harsher.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...+UHP&GCID=C13674x012-tire&partnum=555TR6GRUHP

Well, it is rated to 1929 lbs ea. which is a total vehicle weight of 7716, but is only speed rated to "T", which is 118mph. 245/55/16, would be a spot on match to the factory tire, keeping your speedometer accurate, but I couldn't find any tires in that size. The only 255 that came up was the general tire you posted. You might want to stay with the stock size, unless you want to upgrade wheels to a 17" size.

Edit: It is not a specific truck tire, its rated as a standard load 118 mph tire.

kumho Ecsta STX 255/55/16 v speed rating .41" taller than stock
BF Goodrich g-force sport 255/50/16 z speed rating only .59" shorter
than stock

theres some sweet sumotumo tires on tirerack that i saw for 67 dollars each! pretty snazzy. ide get them but my father is hooking it up for xmas so im debating between toyos goodrich or firestone.

anyone recommend upgrading wheels, i have the snowflakes and i read that they are very light and are the lightest stock wheel for the mark 8. i see people with the chrom cobra r's i like but ide rather go fast... and have a better ride. i also have the 1.5 drop.

theres get some tires man! also, the ones on my car now, the rear ones are like wider than the front, there on the same rims... is that recommended?

I would not put those general grabbers on a car. I had some of those on my truck (lol) There are better choices out there.

theres some sweet sumotumo tires on tirerack that i saw for 67 dollars each! pretty snazzy. ide get them but my father is hooking it up for xmas so im debating between toyos goodrich or firestone.

anyone recommend upgrading wheels, i have the snowflakes and i read that they are very light and are the lightest stock wheel for the mark 8. i see people with the chrom cobra r's i like but ide rather go fast... and have a better ride. i also have the 1.5 drop.

theres get some tires man! also, the ones on my car now, the rear ones are like wider than the front, there on the same rims... is that recommended?

You are not going to go any faster on those snowflakes then you will on a nice sporty looking cobra R wheel. Are we talking about .0001 in the 1/4 mile? LOL:confused:

I am running Yokohama Avid V4s on my car in size 245/50/16. They are an All-season High Performance tire, and I simply love them. I have not used them in the winter as of yet, but if they perform as well in the snow as they do in DEEP rain, I am sure I will be more than pleased. I got them from Tire Rack for like $100 each. They are a bit smaller in overall circumference by 3 inches and the speedo will be off by 3.7% (your speedo will be off by 3MPH at 60, you will be going 57 in actuality).

Yokohama Avid V4s [/url]on my car in size 245/50/16. They are an All-season High Performance tire, and I simply love them.

And then you can enjoy a sidewall blowout. ;)
My Yokos have a bunch a stress-cracks along the sidewall 2 inches from the bead.

Been afraid to take the car over 170 for a year now.

And 245's are pushing it for a 7" rim. Too much overhang.

And then you can enjoy a sidewall blowout. ;)
My Yokos have a bunch a stress-cracks along the sidewall 2 inches from the bead.

Been afraid to take the car over 170 for a year now.

And 245's are pushing it for a 7" rim. Too much overhang.

The blowout came from the fact that the car had sat for almost a year, and half of that time it sat in water up over the tire. Had the tire looked at and it was due to those facts, not that the tire is bad. I NEVER had a problem up until then.

And as you can see in these pix, there is very little overhang on the factory wheels.

barneyshoes.jpg

barneyshoes1.jpg

barneyshoes2.jpg

barneyshoes4.jpg

barneyshoes6.jpg

Im not even gonna read the thread, all I have to say is: Potenza RE950

These are by far the best tires I have ever had, they even stick better in wet conditions. But snow is a no go :(

There may be better out there, but I have had great luck with these.

255/50/16 are ok for the snow flakes,i have falkens and so far this winter they have hook pretty good,$80-$100 a piece and they have a rim guard so no more curb checks

I have V4's on my Crown Vic, and will be putting them on my Mark soon. Absolutley the best tires I have ever run.

Toyo makes a 245/55/16......hard to find, yeah........pricey, a little........worth it, YEP :D ........got mine from onlinetires.com, ive been running them since i got my car, have them in the back, run Potenzas RE750' in the front, stock size.....

I am running Yokohama Avid V4s on my car in size 245/50/16. They are an All-season High Performance tire, and I simply love them. I have not used them in the winter as of yet, but if they perform as well in the snow as they do in DEEP rain, I am sure I will be more than pleased.

Let us know how they do in snow because I was looking at getting a set of these and was really curious to see how they did on our cars.

Thanks

Let us know how they do in snow because I was looking at getting a set of these and was really curious to see how they did on our cars.

Thanks
I've had them in snow for two years now. They're fine. Nothing will be great with a wide tire rwd.
Nothing 300 lbs of sand won't cure.

255/50/16 are wider right... i have wider than stock tires on the rear of my car... it looks really mean.

right now i have the snowflakes - is it recommended to run a wider tire than stock in the back or keep them all stock all around. im looking to spend around 100 ish per tire.

So far im seeing V4 vs Potenza - which is in my price range ( I think ) the dealer im going to for tires also sells Toyo, so anyone have any experience with that? - im looking for a performance tire that will fair better at the track then at the turns, because i dont take the mark 8 in hard turns - its not that kind of animal being its a big luxary rwd.

turborich seems to think other wise that snowflakes vs heavier chrome 18's wont make a difference, is this true? i dont like the way the snowflakes look at all, but if they were the premium in performence then I would keep them on, so if that is the case ill get some nice shiney wheels and get some more expensive tires :-(

The snowflakes are pretty light wheels, and your run of the mill chrome 18"s are going to be heavier. Not to mention that for drag racing you want as much sidewall as possible... But overall it won't be worth more than a tenth or so at the strip.

I used to run 255/50 Falkens on the snowflakes. I was satisfied with the performance. 255/50s are fine on a 16x7 rim, especially on the rear.

personally i wasnt buying so i had to take advice of the tire guys who were friends of my grandfather. so sumotoumo tires (not sure if i spelled that right) they were 87 bucks a piece from jack williams -- stock size, i think there V or W rated. i figure i can rock brand new all seasons for a while.. if your like me tires go very quickly :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back