Help with SCP Connection in 2002 Trunk

Forgeburn

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm repairing my slightly damaged 2002 LS V-8 and need some assistance with where to connect the twisted pair SCP wires in the trunk. They were disconnected on impact apparently. These are the wires that run down the spare tire well next to the trunk junction box. Any pictures would surely be appreciated. I have checked the Ford wiring manuals and shop manuals and cannot find any indication of where they plug in to. There are two copper wires and 2 "silver" wires with insulation all twisted together. I'm assuming the copper are the SCP+ and the silver are the SCP-. Thanks in advance for the help.

I assume you are talking about an aftermarket set of wires leading to a sound system. If they are disconnected, perhaps they were in that condition when you got the car? Aftermarket items are highly individual in the way they are installed. I have the factory sound system in my '02, (bought new) and don't have any such thing as you are describing.

KS

Not sure if this is what you're looking for... but hope it helps.

Trunk-Batt 1.JPG

Trunk-Batt 2.JPG

Trunk-Batt 3.JPG

CammerFE (Old school Ford fan?) and 04_Sport_LS, thank you both for your input on this. I bought the car and this twisted wire bundle "appeared" to run to the rear fuse box, but I never paid that much attention to it. I was more worried about the typical suspension issues and extinguishing the multitude of dash lights that were illuminated. I moved to Oregon in January and jack-knifed my truck and U-Haul (with the LS on top) in Cheyenne, WY during -46 degree weather cold. I did some minor damage to the drivers front end when it rammed my Tundra's left rear Q-panel. I tried to start the LS to get it on to the flat bed, but it didn't budge...no lights, no cranky, nothing. I was running an Optima Red-Top in the trunk since it's a sealed battery and tried to open the trunk to see if the cables came off. Wasn't happening in that temp, and frankly, I just wanted to get out of the cold for a bit. So when I went to pick it up last month, the tow lot had helped themselves to the Optima, and I noticed that these four wires were unhooked. I assumed they were the SCP communication wires which the service manual mentions being "twisted pair" (I'm an aircraft mechanic and this is common for critical communication wires)
Wreck.JPG
and that this is why the car was dead (prior to the batt being removed of course) when I tried to crank it the day of the accident.

Cammer, your post bonked me on the head like a thick rubber mallet. The factory radio is still in the car and I'd never noticed any of the speakers not working, but there was a lack of bass. I have a feeling that these wires were wired for subs that were removed prior to me buying the car. 04_Sport, thanks for the pictures of your trunk. That just confirms what Cammer said. Maybe this weekend I'll chuck a battery in and try to fire her up again. I really appreciate the feedback guys. Take care.

Z

... I was running an Optima Red-Top in the trunk since it's a sealed battery ...

This is not true at all. The Optima does have a vent, and it is not safe in the trunk. We even had a rep from Optima come on the forum here and point that out. There's no magic here. Batteries either vent or explode. Every battery maker chooses "vent." The Optima will vent hydrogen if over charged or if the current drain is too high. Please, for the safety of yourself and your passengers, put the correct, vent connected, battery in. It costs less than the Optima anyway.

What you describe does not match factory wiring. It sounds aftermarket. None of the data bus connections run down into the tire well. They do run to the REM, but don't detour into the tire/battery well. Also, they are not coded by conductor color. They are coded by insulator color. Factory twisted pair wiring usually has a foil shield around it, with insulation around that.

I, too, used an Optima red top in my '02 LS. I put it in an aftermarket battery box and vented both it and my trunk-mounted methanol fuel cell out through the factory rubber tube.

For no-start after a crash, make sure the 'crash-cut-off' switch wasn't jarred loose.

KS

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back