Help with random shutoff.

andreww9933

LVC Member
Reaction score
Just recently my car has started doing something odd. When I come to a stop, it will randomly Rev high and then shut off. Normally it runs great, no rough idle or anything but sometimes when I go to slow down it fights me and maintains a fairly high rpm (usually around 1500 or so). I believe this is a faulty TPS sensor, but I wanted to get opinions and see if it might be something else.

For everyone else, this is a 1st gen V6.

I'd put the IAC as a prime suspect, followed very closely by vacuum leaks (specifically the PCV valve elbow ).

It should be easy enough to rule in or out the TPS, by watching it with a scan tool (even the free version of Torque). It should change smoothly while moving the gas pedal, and should be a consistent value with your foot off the gas.

It will Rev up smoothly when the gas is applied, but occasionally will stick when I release the gas. I also suspect a possible vacuum leak as you stated. What and where is the IAC?

The PCV elbow on the V6 is kind of famous for this sort of thing, though engine temperature is often a factor.

Where's the PCV elbow located? I'll check that out. Is it possible my throttle body could be a factor?

I believe that you have to remove the upper half of you intake manifold to get to it.
Many things are possible...

I haven't watched this, but it may help.

In the mean time, let me ask this. Would the PCV valve or elbow also cause a rough idle during cold temperatures? During winter when I'd start my car and the engine was cold it would idle pretty rough. It would drive fine though, and the idle would smooth out once the car warmed up.

It can. It's an unmetered air leak when it starts to fail.

Then I may go ahead and simply replace the PCV valve while I'm under there. It isn't exactly expensive and I'd rather go ahead and kill multiple birds whiten a single stone than have to tear in to it again.

Just wanted to say that KS for the advice on the PCV valve Between it and the egr pressure sensor (as Napa had it) my car is now fully functional and runs great! Engine light is now off and isn't returning any codes! Thanks a lot!

Members online

No members online now.
Back