Help with A/C codes

1CleanLs

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 LS V8. When I bought it, A/C worked great. Shortly after, the a/c fuse started blowing. I went ahead and replaced the famous DCCV located by the radiator. Took the car to the a/c shop where they recharged it. Now the issues:
1)A/C blows HOT on all vents as if HEATER was on
2)The following codes popped up:
B2797, B2799, B1242, B1794 and B1676
The last 2 codes were cleared (low battery was one of them, only drive the car on the weekend), but I am concerned about the first three codes. All functions on vents work, upper, center, floor etc.
Can someone shine light on this before I start dumping $ into it (or getting ripped off for that matter)

THANK YOU for your time/help.

Best regards,
Ed

Both of the solenoids on the DCCV are reading as open circuit. It's possible that the new DCCV is bad, or that the electrical connector wasn't fully mated after the replacement. Otherwise, look for dirty/corroded contacts on the connectors, and trace the wiring looking for breaks. It could also be the DATC.
Logically, the most likely suspect is that the connector isn't fully plugged in, unless you used a used DCCV instead of a good new one. There are some easy multimeter tests to make to narrow it down.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xc0003.htm~gen~ref.htm#PS2-J

Both of the solenoids on the DCCV are reading as open circuit. It's possible that the new DCCV is bad, or that the electrical connector wasn't fully mated after the replacement. Otherwise, look for dirty/corroded contacts on the connectors, and trace the wiring looking for breaks. It could also be the DATC.
Logically, the most likely suspect is that the connector isn't fully plugged in, unless you used a used DCCV instead of a good new one. There are some easy multimeter tests to make to narrow it down.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xc0003.htm~gen~ref.htm#PS2-J

Thank you, I will try the above. DCCV was new so I will try to double check everything.

The fuse is still popping when a/c is turned on. No voltage reading on DCCV plug. Are there any other fuses/relays that have to do with the a/c system? If so, where or which ones should I check? Thanks

Unplug the DCCV and put a new fuse in and see if it blows.
If it does, then unplug the compressor clutch (or just pull the clutch relay out), replace the fuse, and see if it still blows.
If it still blows, then it's the wiring or the DATC. Use the test flowchart that I posted above to figure out which it is.

joegr, I tried the above and the fuse is not blowing when a/c clutch relay is out...once I plug the a/c clutch relay back in, it starts popping the 10a a/c fuse again. I am going to pick up a new a/c clutch relay along with more 10a fuses and see what happens. If you can think of anything else, please advise. Thank you for your time.

Best regards,
Ed

It's not going to be the clutch relay. It's going to be the clutch, or the wiring to it.
The next step is to unplug the connector at the compressor clutch and put the relay back in, along with a new fuse. If the fuse blows, it's the wiring. If it doesn't, then it's the compressor clutch.

It's not going to be the clutch relay. It's going to be the clutch, or the wiring to it.
The next step is to unplug the connector at the compressor clutch and put the relay back in, along with a new fuse. If the fuse blows, it's the wiring. If it doesn't, then it's the compressor clutch.

Can the clutch go bad from one second to the next? It was blowing super cold, fuse blew, and its been blowing ever since.

Local autoparts store only shows compressor and not the clutch separately......does the whole compressor need to be replaced or where can I find clutch by itself? Thanks

Local autoparts store only shows compressor and not the clutch separately......does the whole compressor need to be replaced or where can I find clutch by itself? Thanks

Most of the time, people replace the compressor and clutch as an assembly. However, not only can you buy just the clutch, you can even buy just parts of the clutch. For example, if you are lucky, you might only need the clutch coil.

This page has all the clutch parts.
http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/Page_...isvinskip=&Attributes=37656,40901,30925,22102

This shows how to replace all the clutch parts.
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xc1011.htm~gen~ref.htm

Thanks for the detailed info joegr, my last question is: do I have to replace the expansion valve and the drier? I am asking because most compressors state that the items mentioned above must be replaced or debris might void/damage new compressor. I found a compressor for $175, so if the replacement of the exp valve and drier are not necessary, I might just buy the whole compressor, install it and call it a day.Thank you once again for your time.

Best regards,
Ed

Thanks for the detailed info joegr, my last question is: do I have to replace the expansion valve and the drier? I am asking because most compressors state that the items mentioned above must be replaced or debris might void/damage new compressor. Thank you once again for your time.

Best regards,
Ed

The LS doesn't have an expansion valve, it has an expansion block. You DO NOT want to have to replace that!!!! The dash has to be removed..... When replacing the compressor you ALWAYS want to replace the receiver/dryer.

The LS doesn't have an expansion valve, it has an expansion block. You DO NOT want to have to replace that!!!! The dash has to be removed..... When replacing the compressor you ALWAYS want to replace the receiver/dryer.

Thanks LS4me, I will probably replace the whole compressor and the drier. Is the drier located somewhere near the compressor and is it easy to change? Thanks

Thanks, once I confirm that the compressor is the issue and not the wiring, I will replace compressor and drier

Wow I'm going to pay attention to this thread because I am having the exact same problem!

I am going to finish ruling out weather is the compressor or wiring this weekend by trying what joegr suggested. If it is the compressor, I will replace it next weekend and update the post. Thanks

Were you able to see if it was the compressor or the wiring?

I'm curious as to why you don't check this yourself on your car? Just because you may have similar (or even identical) symptoms to his, does not mean that you will have the same cause.

Members online

Back