help wanted 89 LSC

lees LSC

LVC Member
Reaction score
i was hoping someone could answer some questions on some tuneup and mods. to my lincoln.
1 what are the best spark plugs to use- heat range,gap,and brand.
2 best plug wires.
i already have a K&N air filter and i replaced the origional mufflers with dynomax super turbo,s and im in the process of fabricating my own ram-air system which was cheap and straight forward.
i plan on changing out the pullies and the fan is starting to crack so im going to change it out to the police interceptor unit with the clutch.
i have other plans for mods in the future but i want to get things running right first. the main question i have is what gear ratio did this car come with? the car has the traction lock diff. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Use copper Autolite 764 spark plugs. Don't fall for the hype of all the multi-point platinum plug advertising. And if you don't want to take my word for it, ask any of the go fast guys like NYC LSC (running high 13's) and they'll say the same thing. ;) For a stock engine the gap should be set to ~.052 inch, give or take .001.

If you are going to swap the fan you might be happier with changing to an electric fan. This deletes the parasitic loss of the stock fan. And as stated, you have a 3.27:1 rearend ratio with the LSC, as all LSC models had. The non-LSC had the option of 2.73, 3.08, and 3.27 in trac-loc and non trac-loc varities.

JoshMcMadMac said:
Use copper Autolite 764 spark plugs.
:waving: Hey Josh!! I see you're online. How's the trip going?

Actually, trac-loc was only optional on LSC's in '89 and there were no ratio choices...BB = 3.08 open and LSC = 3.27 open (trac-loc optional) I don't believe the 2.73 was used in any Mark VII, only in 5.0 mustangs w/manual transmission. Put in the autolites, FMS wires cost about $50 and you can choose a color you like. The pullies make a nice upgrade but don't go to an electric fan because the electrical system is already stressed on these cars and going to underdrives makes it worse!

JSev22 said:
Actually, trac-loc was only optional on LSC's in '89 and there were no ratio choices...BB = 3.08 open and LSC = 3.27 open (trac-loc optional) I don't believe the 2.73 was used in any Mark VII, only in 5.0 mustangs w/manual transmission. Put in the autolites, FMS wires cost about $50 and you can choose a color you like. The pullies make a nice upgrade but don't go to an electric fan because the electrical system is already stressed on these cars and going to underdrives makes it worse!
1984 transaxle diesel - 3.73:1
See: OldSchool8 at http://www.lscclub.org/cars/oldschool8/

thank's for the help

man i picked up a set of autolite plat's last night and installed them this morning (it took 45 mins) . i didnt know about the plugs you specified until it was too late. the new ones still made a big difference over the origionals with 114,000 miles on them. next week im going to install the ford motorsport wires along with the cap and rotor. does anyone know who makes a good high output coil. i always had good luck with accel,s ignition parts. i know MSD is better but im on a budget right now and im going to stick with the stock fan setup. thanks guy,s keep thecomments and suggestions comming. :wrench

What plugs should you use for the deisle.........................

HAHA
glow plugs right! :D

Brought a smile to my face -- WISE GUY EEEHHH ---
( In our finest CURLY voice )
Wonder how many fell for it ??--Kinda Like asking someone to get
stuff out of the trunk of your VETTE

Members online

No members online now.
Back