Help, Tranny or Something. . .

Sifrino3

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay, while going 50-60 mph. (Not correct) I press on the gas pedal just a little bit. To increase my speed and it raises the rpms about 500 rpms. Which do not give me anymore power. So, I slam the pedal down. To get rid of it. The press regular on the pedal and its fine. But its seems like it is happening more often. . . It's a biatch!

sounds like you're losing your overdrive, I blew two trannys (ripped the shaft for overdrive off from manually shifting) before I finally spent 3K for an AODE

eh, could be low pressure, just letting you know how weak these tranny's are (or how hard I am on my vehicles)

I'll go with O/D band on it's way out. If you wanna pass someone on the highway while in OD, just drop it down into D. Pass the person and put it back into OD to cruise. I did that before the 5 speed swap for a long while (maybe a year), and it held out long enough for me.

Yes, that is the OD going. The last thing you want to do is gas it when that happens. I would do what Tommy suggests and start driving in "D" all the time, unless you know you are going to be cruising for a while. Even then, hills can screw you up.

re-Markable LSC said:
Yes, that is the OD going. The last thing you want to do is gas it when that happens. I would do what Tommy suggests and start driving in "D" all the time, unless you know you are going to be cruising for a while. Even then, hills can screw you up.

The thing is at 50 mph in OD its at 2k! I do drive in D all the time xcept when im on the hwy. . .

2k is nothing. I never used to put my car into OD until I was over 65. Saved a little wear and tear on teh OD band. I suggest you start doing the same, or you're gonna be into the car for a new trans sooner than you'd like...

Add a bottle of Lucas additive to the tranny and do as the others suggest. It should hold out for some time if you baby it, but if you keep doing what you've been doing it will be toast in no time.

JoshMcMadMac said:
Add a bottle of Lucas additive to the tranny and do as the others suggest. It should hold out for some time if you baby it, but if you keep doing what you've been doing it will be toast in no time.

But, that could be a good thang

consolewknob.JPG

Sifrino3 said:
The thing is at 50 mph in OD its at 2k! I do drive in D all the time xcept when im on the hwy. . .
Um, ouch.
Dude. If I'm in the city, I stay in Drive. When I hit the burbs or the highway, I wait until my rpms are like 2500 and then ease into Over Drive. My 1989 tranny, knock on wood, shifts into OD at 38 mph on flat ground with very little accelleration. When your tranny isn't going into OD until you're doing like 50 or if you need to trick it into OD, it's time to save up for a rebuild or swap.

Don't forget; Pampers first :)

OldSchool1 said:
.....Don't forget; Pampers first :)
Is that what your wife says to you before you try to get in bed at night? :p

Anyway, I've always thrown it in OD and let it fly. Never had a problem <shrug>

Keep an eye out for T5 Swap. I think its a sure thing. I don't like the auto choosing where to shift. I hated when it shifted at 4800rpms going into third. It drove me nuts.

My vote is for OD going out.....common as mentioned.
If you are happy with the tranny with exception of that, just drop the tranny, throw a new OD band in and new stall converter - go about your happy life. The OD band is about 20 minutes worth of work - it is right up front. It is the dropping the tranny that takes the time!!

here is a picture of the reverse drum out - the band runs on the drum - this is all the further you go after pulling the front pump.

revdrum outsmall.jpg

SilverFox said:
If you are happy with the tranny with exception of that, just drop the tranny, throw a new OD band in and new stall converter - go about your happy life. The OD band is about 20 minutes worth of work - it is right up front. It is the dropping the tranny that takes the time!!

here is a picture of the reverse drum out - the band runs on the drum - this is all the further you go after pulling the front pump.

There is alot of reasons why I would do the swap. I like holding gears while riding someones a$$ and when they finally get over. I can just keep going. Instead of riding there a$$ then down shifting. . .

Sifrino3 said:
I did from 1st to second. The from 2nd to third it shifted at 4800 rpms instead of 5500rpms form 1st to 2nd.

1 D OD

Theres no second gear. . .
Sorry, I forgot. With my AODE I have control from 1-2, 2-3, but to get to 4 I have to let off the gas and then get back on it. It's nice because when racing it'll go only to 3rd with my foot to the floor.

SilverFox said:

Clear as mud Bro.
Transmission work has always been this mysterious, behind the curtain, kind of job that I've neer witnessed and always assumed that little gnomes did in the back of a shop somewhere near the South Pole.

If our AOD's can be rebuilt on a bench by a tool like myself that knows the difference between metric and standard, then I'd be willing to try it come warmer weather.

Old school......and others......

I have alot of mechanic skill, and alot of experience with turnin wrenches on just about anything - that is why i will tell you now that the AOD tranny is no harder than rebuilding a QUADraJET carburator! If you have ever rebuilt carburators.....you can build an AOD! To get an idea (for free) go to MN12 website and pull off the 4R70W rebuild video and watch the tear down section - then realize there is about 1/3 less work involved when doing the AOD. If you have the time and the patience, i encourage you to dig into your own AOD tranny, or go to a junk yard and dig in one of those first. It was only a year ago I rebuilt my VII AOD tranny, still runs great, learned alot, and since then i have rebuilt several AOD/AODE/4R's - no expert, but by god they move and shift and are fun!!!

Sifrino3 said:
There is alot of reasons why I would do the swap. I like holding gears while riding someones a$$ and when they finally get over. I can just keep going. Instead of riding there a$$ then down shifting. . .
You need a change in driving habits!

Sifrino3 said:
don't need to pass anyone. Just speed up a little bit. Like 5mph or just keep speed.
Which is it? You make no sense :rolleyes:

I HATE FORD'S TRANNYS! Go with richmond or tremmic. :) i love them

JSev22 said:
You need a change in driving habits!

Which is it? You make no sense :rolleyes:

I can not change my habits. I live in a old people town that likes to go 20 mph under the speed limit.

Man I did not make any sense. It must have not cought the start of it. Since it was not caps! I use a cordless keyboard and mouse. Sometimes it will not pick up. . . But the second part. I was talking about the auto trans and I would just need to keep speed or speed up a little. That is where my problem is. Because instead of just going. It shoots up 500 rpm but does nothing. So, I smash the gas real quick. (Which is bad) And it gets ride of it. . .

Also, when I do that. The temp will go from 160 (where it always is) to 190!

Members online

No members online now.
Back