HELP - Steering wheel locked in full clockwise position

heyjewel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Title says it. Hope someone has a clue. I searched and found one thread that said "LS does not have a steering wheel lock." Well now mine does. :(
Rest of story - I was replacing tie rod ends. Had both sides disconnected. Was able to loosen the locknut on passenger side with much difficulty. Screwed new tie rod end on to locknut position. Wanted to get wheel in good position to insert the TRE bolt into the control arm hole. Pushed the wheel a bit and got the bolt in. But now it's in a bad position to install and torque the nut. Could not turn the wheel by hand now with TRE in the hole so went in the car and turned the steering wheel and it went to end of travel and I heard a 'click' and now it's locked. Will not move.
Joegr? Anyone? TIA.

Title says it. Hope someone has a clue. I searched and found one thread that said "LS does not have a steering wheel lock." Well now mine does. :(
Rest of story - I was replacing tie rod ends. Had both sides disconnected. Was able to loosen the locknut on passenger side with much difficulty. Screwed new tie rod end on to locknut position. Wanted to get wheel in good position to insert the TRE bolt into the control arm hole. Pushed the wheel a bit and got the bolt in. But now it's in a bad position to install and torque the nut. Could not turn the wheel by hand now with TRE in the hole so went in the car and turned the steering wheel and it went to end of travel and I heard a 'click' and now it's locked. Will not move.
Joegr? Anyone? TIA.
I would imagine the pressure on the spring has to be released...did you try putting the key in the ignition and turning the wheel in the opposite way the wheels are turned now?

My guess would be a positive "safety latch" to prevent damage to the clockspring from over rotation. Might have to pull the airbag to get to it... or it might be at the lower end of the column under the dash. Disconnect the battery before working on it just to make sure the airbag doesn't deploy. :eek:

No such thing that I have heard of. I wonder if the rack was damaged? I'd disconnect the column either under the dash or at the rack. That way, you'll know if the column is locked or the rack is locked. Take care, there is no protection against turning it too far and breaking the clockspring when the column is disconnected from the rack.

No such thing that I have heard of. I wonder if the rack was damaged? I'd disconnect the column either under the dash or at the rack. That way, you'll know if the column is locked or the rack is locked. Take care, there is no protection against turning it too far and breaking the clockspring when the column is disconnected from the rack.

Thanks for suggestions. Yes I did try the key in ignition at all detents and no help. Possible lock for clockspring is good idea. First I think I will try what joegr suggested and disconnect the steering column from the rack and see which is locked and go from there.
"There is nothing I can't break on my own and nothing I can't fix with a little help from my friends." - my new motto.

I agree the first step is to see what is actually locked ...on the brighter side you're going to be a lot more knowledgable with the steering rack ...all the best

I agree the first step is to see what is actually locked ...on the brighter side you're going to be a lot more knowledgable with the steering rack ...all the best

Disconnected column from steering gear. It was the steering wheel that was locked. I didn't mention in original post that this is the car I've got the engine out of for rebuild (almost done). And there was no battery in it. I didn't think that was important - but it was. I charged a spare battery yesterday, put it in and click clack something said and the steering wheel was free of it's bonds.
Little wonder no one has heard of this before. How many of us have the battery out, the car on jackstands and turn the wheel to full lock? Now I did push the pass wheel in a lot and there still might be damage to the rack or something. Still to be investigated. Thanks though for all the thinking and advice and sorry for the battery thing.

-There's nothing I cant break on my own and nothing I cant fix with a little help from my friends.

Disconnected column from steering gear. It was the steering wheel that was locked. I didn't mention in original post that this is the car I've got the engine out of for rebuild (almost done). And there was no battery in it. I didn't think that was important - but it was. I charged a spare battery yesterday, put it in and click clack something said and the steering wheel was free of it's bonds.
Little wonder no one has heard of this before. How many of us have the battery out, the car on jackstands and turn the wheel to full lock? Now I did push the pass wheel in a lot and there still might be damage to the rack or something. Still to be investigated. Thanks though for all the thinking and advice and sorry for the battery thing.

-There's nothing I cant break on my own and nothing I cant fix with a little help from my friends.
Thanks a million for the update heyjewel much appreciated

Hi, by disconnecting the steering column from the rack, do you mean disconnecting the u-joint on the steering shaft and above the gas pedal? I'm investigating the rubber sound when turning the steering wheel. Need to pin the failure part.

Yes, just be very careful not to turn the wheel more than one turn in either direction, and to bring it back to exactly where it was to reconnect it. Otherwise, you will break your clockspring.

Members online

No members online now.
Back