Help; should I get this 96 El Dorado??

serialthriller

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey forum. I’m lookin’ at possibly getting a 96 pearl white STS El Dorado. From what I can see, the car’s in great shape and has 180,000 miles on it. The seller is offering it up for $3,500 Car’s about a 3 and ½ drive from me. The specs of the maintenance the car’s received…

“It has new tires less than 200miles on them from tire kingdom with records,,new oxygen sensors,,new tune up with plugs,,new fuel pressure regulator,,new torke struts fro engine,,new brakes same time as tires front and back,,alll new filters,,cold air intake just installed. ”

Well here’s why I’m coming to you guys… the car needs to have a torque converter installed. I know the price for one, but what’s the ball park to take it to a local (non-dealership) shop to have it installed? I know what El Dorados, and Sevilles go for, but do you guys personally think this is worth it? (Also, how would I go about driving it back if I drove out there, liked it and bought it... if it has an issue with the tranny going into over-drive?) The guy seems really nice and says he’s sellin’ it because he’s gotta’ move… and I understand how that goes and I'd love to buy his car… but money is tight and the circumstances, as I've mentioned, are kinda’ difficult. So give me your input and advice if you can guys. If I don’t get this El Dorado, odds are, I won’t and will go with… <sigh> a more fuel efficient car. Here’s a picture of the car below…
CADILLICELDORADO002.jpg

ThanX in advance.

looks real nice!!! but a trans problems can run you a well over $2000.180k is a lot of miles but a properly seviced and driven caddy will go another180k!!!! you may be getting into a money pit for a daily driver-call a Amco or other trany profesional and get the facts on what goes wrong with caddy trannys
how long ago was the suspension done? does everything work ? how many miles do you drive a year? peronaly I would stay away from a high milage car

ThanX for the reply Taylor. Those are all good questions, so I went ahead and e-mailed the dude asking them. I'll let you guys know the answers to them when I get them. And feel free for anyone else to post your thoughts and advice.

Yeah, one thing I do not want to get into is a money pit... but the car is in such good condition. My ex-girl's father had an El Dorado exactly like this (a 95') and his car ran just fine (had slightly less miles). He took very good care of his car, drove it all the time and his seats (interior) had more wear on them than this car here... so it could mean two things; the car is in very good shape indeed and will last for a long time, or it could mean that the car looks great but is starting to have problems (meaning money pit).

So what do you guys think?

i wouldnt buy a car that old with that many miles to depend on. if it needs transmission work, 3500 is too high. if he wanted to let it go for 2000-2500 i might give it a little thought.

i speak from experience, never ever buy a car that needs work. unless your making good enough money so that it doesnt nickle and dime you to death.

If the guys has all of the maintenance records to show the car has been taken care of mechanically as well as cosmectically, check to see if he's willing to give you a discount for the repair. I'd pefer a high mile, well maintained Caddy to a low mile not taken car of Caddy anyday.

Members online

Back