Help...Possible Alternator?

nick1906

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I was driving home from work on yesterday and my ABS light came on then my auto trac light...no more than 2 minutes later..my radio goes out and just before arriving home the car was kinda sputtering like it wanted to shut off then i turn the headlights off and it was ok. I got home and turned the car off and tried to turn it back on and it wouldn't crank...my interior lights come and and the radio works.....could this be my battery or alternator? any feedback would be greatly appreciated....thanks

Could be either............

nick1906 said:
I was driving home from work on yesterday and my ABS light came on then my auto trac light...no more than 2 minutes later..my radio goes out and just before arriving home the car was kinda sputtering like it wanted to shut off then i turn the headlights off and it was ok. I got home and turned the car off and tried to turn it back on and it wouldn't crank...my interior lights come and and the radio works.....could this be my battery or alternator? any feedback would be greatly appreciated....thanks

Could be either, but because you said that it was sputtering it is more than likely the alternator.

Thanks...yeah when I turned off the lights it stopped sputtering...I will take the battery out and go to autozone to have it tested and let u all know my findings

To check the alternator, get a voltage meter and check the voltage on the battery terminals.

Should be about 13+ to maybe 15volts(I think most books say up to 18v but makes me nervous) while the engine is running with all accessories and lights off.

With engine off, the battery should read above 12 volts. If it is 11v or lower, it is either not getting a charge or it is dying. If it is 2volts or more less than 12v, you probably have a shorted cell.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

what if I can't get it to crank..it sounds like it wants to start but not enough juice...seems more like a battery u think?

my money's on the alternator since it died while running. you may check to make sure the belt's there before you dig too much. remember when your alternator craps out the car runs off the battery...then it dies too. Make sure to check all applicable fuses/fusible links too.

I am new to this so bare with me...where should I be looking to see if the alternator belt is still on..can i see it if i lift the hood of my car...where specifically should I be looking...

Thanks again for all your help

the ls has a serpantine belt if it goes nothing works.....

Get the car jump and go to the auto store they can check you battery and alt. with out pullling either out of the car....

I had to buy a new alt.. so good luck...

did you install your alternator yourself or have someone install it for you...trying to get a ballpark of about how much it may cost me.

If the alternator...............

SilverLS said:
the ls has a serpantine belt if it goes nothing works.....

Get the car jump and go to the auto store they can check you battery and alt. with out pullling either out of the car....

I had to buy a new alt.. so good luck...

If the alternator is bad, just getting a jump may not allow you to make it to the auto store. You will need to fully charge the battery and then you may make it if the auto store is not too far. And it will probably not run very well until you get there.

Members online

No members online now.
Back