Help*pleH! Timing @ Negative 20!

Okay, I did it a few times. I say stop when air is pushing out. I put the dis. in at #1 although as I am pushing it down it goes to eight (8). Is this normal? Am I on the money?

Pull up the distributor and turn the rotor counter-clockwise before the #1 position and drop it back in. Keep doing it until the rotor lines up with the #1 cylinder. THEN you're on the money.

It snowed big doggie style here. I was going to do it a day before. But now Im waiting it out. I may try in the morning. I pretty much have it figured out. Click, click, click. STOP, top dead center. Install the dis making the rotor point at #1. I had trouble with that. Since as I was putting it in. It would go to #8. Which I thought was normal. Thats why i was having the probs.

But this next week looks clear for taking Sif down to Phx. But my wife has been having problem with her c-section cut. It hasn't healled right. So, she has to have it stuffed everyday. So, these past two weeks have been harder then normal. Other then the new kid. My wife is in alot pain from her cut.

Help, what is up!

Okay. I got it to 12. Which is where I want it. But then I clip that clip in, which you are suppose to take out to do your timing. I plug it in and the timing is way off. Is that fine?

12 without clip
20 with clip. (Or close to it)

The above really doen't matter. I took it out and once again it is smooth as hell. Before it was real jerky through shifts and was pretty hard to drive. Becuase it also would up shift fast. Before you really would like it to.

I was getting 20.2 mpg and now after about 30-45 miles. It is reading 26.8. This is through town, hwy, and just getting on it every chance I got.

I got to give my thanks out. The comments I got was just awesome! I finally got my car back to where I want it and if it wasn't for some plans today. I think I would have made it to Phx to race it. Just was that great of a drive. I hope weather stays good for next week.

Sifrino3 said:
Okay. I got it to 12. Which is where I want it. But then I clip that clip in, which you are suppose to take out to do your timing. I plug it in and the timing is way off. Is that fine?

12 without clip
20 with clip. (Or close to it)

Yup. That's about right. When you put the SPOUT connector back in, the ECM adds in some timing.

Good job, dude. Glad it's running better.

NYC LSC said:
Yup. That's about right. When you put the SPOUT connector back in, the ECM adds in some timing.

Bolt On Guy here.
What clip does he mean Tommy?

NYC LSC said:

Me too! It is awesome.

BUT. . .

When just going down the road. Lets say 50mph. It really doesn't seem to matter. But then I give it a little gas. The rpm's go up about 200-400 rpm but with no change. But it it louder. I give it more gas to get ride of that and it seems to drive fine. It happens every once and awhile. About once or twice every other time I take it out.

Any Ideas?

hehe, atleast the oil pump driveshaft didn't get stuck against its boss in the block...that can make for a real pita :D

Good to hear you go it figured out!

btw the distributor doesn't need to point exactly at #1 at tdc since you have ~30* (depending on distributor orientation) to play with

MAT88GT said:
hehe, atleast the oil pump driveshaft didn't get stuck against its boss in the block...that can make for a real pita :D

Good to hear you go it figured out!

btw the distributor doesn't need to point exactly at #1 at tdc since you have ~30* (depending on distributor orientation) to play with

Yeah, I was just close enough that it would start. It was like -20 or -30. Something like that. So, then I kept taking it out and placing it back in. So, I would have a good range of movement. But the best thing that happened by fixing this problem. Was the shifts were not so hard and it wouldn't shift before you would like it to. Ohh, yeah. That mpg is nice to!

NYC LSC said:
The SPOUT connector.

C'mon, you should know this...you did your timing at the track!! :D
Do you mean the stupid little tab that holds the base of the distributor in one place?

That little sucker has an official NaMe other than, "That stupid little tab"?

I know what I don't know and I know that I didn't know what the hell a spout connecteor was.

Thanks.

OldSchool1 said:
Do you mean the stupid little tab that holds the base of the distributor in one place?

That little sucker has an official NaMe other than, "That stupid little tab"?

I know what I don't know and I know that I didn't know what the hell a spout connecteor was.

Thanks.

John...

It looks something like this:

DCP_2584.gif

Comes off of the wiring harness that plugs into the distributor for the TFI module. Please tell me you removed it before setting the timing?

Yeah. When I get a really good tail wind :)

Thanks but I haven't added any more mods nor rebuilt the engine. My best time was 14.9 up in the mountains and most recently 15.0something at Atco in 40 degree temperatures with radials at night. i haven't loaded up the new server with pictures yet but you'll see OldSchool2 hasn't changed.

I am contemplating doing an official complete rebuild but I want to do it on say a 1986 or 1987 and then make it like 100% stock and bust a 16 with a true to stock ride. if my (now) 13 year old get's into it, then I'll wind up making a nitro monster like Big Ant's.

Members online

No members online now.
Back