help please knocking/ ticking

MIAMI-MARK-VIII

LVC Member
Reaction score
My 97 mark viii i turn it on an its making this knock/ticking noise by the top right of manifold if you're standing in front of car
looking at engine when I put my ear up close
it sounds louder towards the injector I unplugged each injector while the car was running an it acts like if engine is going to cut off I did this to see if injectors are firing and they seem good i have read others with this similar problem but seems like no one has a fix or some accurate info to troubleshoot if anyone has had this problem will really appreciate any info or help thank you all

I've never known or have read anything where an injector would cause knocking or ticking.

But I can tell you about a similar problem with ticking noise on my '97.

The problem did not exsist on my Mark8 until about a year ago. The ticking noise started when overnight temps went down below 32 degrees last winter as I started the car to keep the battery from draining too much. Needless to say, I stopped driving the car to prevent any internal engine damage until I had the problem fixed.

After diagnosing the sound, it was apparent that one of the hydraulic lifters went bad. I ordered the lifters, new valve cover gaskets and spark plug gaskets from my local Ford/Lincoln dealer parts dept.

Before replacing the lifters, I noticed that inside the valve cover and the surrounding area was not coated in oil. With the help of my friend, we discovered one of the oil feed tubes leading to the hydraulic lifter was clogged with debris that originated from the oil pan. It was a tiny piece of dislodged silicone gasket material. That was the initial cause of the hydraulic lifter failing.

Luckily, by not driving my Mark with the tapping noise still there, I was able to avoid any damage to the cam lobes. Had I not found the clogged oil feed, I'm sure the rest of the hydraulic lifters would have failed shortly thereafter.

Once everything was put back together, the tapping sound was no longer there and the engine performance felt alot more responsive than before.

Good Luck to you and I hope you get yours fixed as quickly and inexpensively as I had mine. :)

Thank you so much for your info i will definitely look into it I just purchased the car 2 weeks ago and have not ran the engine for long only to charge the battery did you replace all the lifters or just the ones that were damaged ? An how hard was it to change them out any tips in doing this

Members online

Back