Help please-diagnostic--guesses before I tow it to the mechanic

Rick1

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys-
I wanted to get some op's before I decide what to do with my 06 LS

So I spring a leak in my radiator hose and fix it. I go to start the car and

'clang clatter clunk!!!!" It sounds like I threw a rod, that bad. ugh.

I immediately shut it off and after my heart rate went down I tried it again and the same thing. It runs- but I'm afraid to let it run more than a second or two.
Here's the deal: A couple times when I turned it over, it sounded like it didn't have any compression. You know, it didn't have it's normal rhythm, the cadence was off. However, it starts and the noise is enough to scare anyone. I can't imagine the car starting with a thrown rod or spun bearing, so I got to thinking a few things. Something sounds loose, like it rattling around-clanging so to speak but I'm not going to let it run long enough to damange it any further
Could it be the timing chain tensioner? Could it be the timing chain itself? Could it be a valve?
-it seemed to have a miss. I thought maybe a plug had broken off and got into the cylinder I just changed the coil packs and plugs. Just to be sure, I pulled all 8 plugs and -nothing. They only have like 500 miles on them at most.
But the thing that throws me is the fact that it starts, the rhythm being off on the starter and it runs like crap-the short time I've let it run anyways. I was reading about the plastic tensioner on the gen 1's but this is an 06. All fluids are good, I've always run synthetic and it's got 149 on the clock. ANy help guys- If it needs a new motor, I'm not going to fix it and it's going to break my heart. Thanks IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

Well,if you ran low on antifreeze,water pump might've gone out. They would make a mighty noise if bearing goes. Check that. Would be a heck of a coincidence if the starter got loose and was wrangling around.Doubt that. Put a code reader on it and look for obvious things. don-ohio :)^)

Can't

I can't let it run and there is no c e light on. It's much worse than s water pump squaking. Itba slapping metal on metal sound and I can't let itvrun because the sound is awful

You don't have to let it run to use a code reader. Just the switch turned to ON/run position. I hope it's your starter come apart,because it's sounding like something interior to the engine. I wasn't talking about a water pump SQUEAK......I was talking about when the casting holding the bearing OR the bearing comes apart.That would be LOUD! Take a good close visual look at the engine with a strong flashlight even in daylight.
Look at the V-belt position...make sure all pulleys line up. An electric fan that comes apart or loose will make a bad noise also. Take a close look. don-ohio :)^)

since you were working on the radiator, are you sure that the sound is not from something hitting the blades?

Double check the accessory drive that nothing is hitting. Pull the belt and give each accessory a spin (water pump, alternator, PS pump, and the idlers/tensioner). All should turn freely. Might just be a bearing gave up the ghost in an exciting way.
I would say pull the starter and remove the bellhousing inspection plugs. Take a look for something obvious. Remove plugs and turn over the engine. Is the flexplate/ring gear broken? Does the engine turn over smoothly?
Put starter back on. With plugs out, turn over engine. Does it turn smoothly? Run a compression test.

Sudden catastrophic internal failures are very rare.

Although I normally woundn't recommend trying to start it again... but since you have a few times already... A short video would go a long ways (if above does not help)

Where did it leak... could coolant have gone into the air filter?

Did you end up putting as many tool away as you pulled out to do this job? Sure you are not short one wrench?

Thank you everyone I'm going to try your suggestions- thanks again!

since you were working on the radiator, are you sure that the sound is not from something hitting the blades?
Come to think of it, I hadn't started it in a few days and the starter kinda made a "chunk" sound when I turned the key-twice! Then if fired up like uausal. But it turns over fine ?-

Double check the accessory drive that nothing is hitting. Pull the belt and give each accessory a spin (water pump, alternator, PS pump, and the idlers/tensioner). All should turn freely. Might just be a bearing gave up the ghost in an exciting way.
I would say pull the starter and remove the bellhousing inspection plugs. Take a look for something obvious. Remove plugs and turn over the engine. Is the flexplate/ring gear broken? Does the engine turn over smoothly?
Put starter back on. With plugs out, turn over engine. Does it turn smoothly? Run a compression test.

Sudden catastrophic internal failures are very rare.

Never had a motor make a sound like this. The starter hung up twice when I went to start it, the battery was weak. It ran perfect before this. I noticed it has a miss sounded like it lost compression? Don't know

That's the large steel plate with teeth that the starter drive teeth engage into. They crack sometimes,or bend. Could be your problem,but you need to get under there and check it out IF you've already took the drive belt off and checked all the accessories(electric fan assembly,ac compressor,power steering pump,water pump,CRANK PULLEYS can start to get loose too.They are 2-piece. Joe GR had a bent or loose one,he said.)don-ohio :)^)

Did you hear that awful sound? It's a rotation I think and the starter sounds weak- thanks

I could see where that might be you're starter drive or starter coming apart. Sounds kinda like a starter. don-ohio

Two "easy" things to do would be check for spun bearings and camshaft alignment. Google how to check for a spun bearing. You should find some videos using a straw in the sparkplug hole while cranking it by hand. If one has a delayed movement, push it with a screwdriver. As the screwdriver sinks confirming the bad bearing, so will your heart.

Camshaft alignment: pull the valve covers, rotate the crank until you see the flats come into alignment (or not).

Easiest thing to do is get under there and check/rule out the starter and flex plate. don-ohio :)^)

Members online

No members online now.
Back