Help! need to fix my AC (DCCV?)

loveLSE

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, all.
My AC started to blow hot air (only on driver side)
Passenger side AC works fine as cold air still comes out.
from quick search on this forum, sounds like it is DCCV problem.
Could anyone tell me how i can change this out?
I dont exactly know what it is and how it looks like so more detail the better.
(I guess once I buy the new part, I would know what it look like : )
Anyone replaced their DCCV?
My LS is 2002.

btw, I will be moving to Miami so I really need this AC working before I drive thru dozen or so states to get there (Im in Seattle)

OK, here it is

The DCCV on my lincoln 01 v6 is located on the passenger side in front of the engine, just behind the radiator, way down low. It has several hoses attached and two solenoids on top, look like little cans. If you have the tool for removing the ford hose clamps, its not to hard to replace. Otherwise vice grips work too.
Buy new worm gear hose clamps, they are easier to work with on reinstall.
DCCV cost $150, plus misc parts clamps, antifreeze etc.

Basically loosen everything and push aside to get to DCCV, take off hoses and electrical leads, remove DCCV, install DCCV, put on hoses, electrical connector, tighten everything back up, add fluid, bleed system, good to go!

Ok, my situation was rare, but I had the exact symptoms of a failed DCCV, just what you stated. Hot on driver's, cold on passenger's. I changed out two DCCVs, neither fixed it, took it to dealer and they hook it up to their diagnostic computer and the control unit actually communicated, which they told me it would not do if it was not working. Turned out it was the control unit, FORD wanted like $700 for it, I got it from a junkyard shipped overnight for 130. Took all of 30 minutes to change that out.

here are tireman's detailed instructions that I used, but it took me about an hour longer than it took him.

01 V6 LS DCCV Installation
time 4 hours
tools needed screwdriver, large needle nose vise grip, medium needle nose vice grip, allen wrench (not really needed), socket wrench.
1. Remove plastic beauty cover over radiator. 4 nylon push rivets
2. Remove plastic air channel between air filter and throttle body
3. Under radiator in front of DCCV loosen white plastic drain cock. Drain cock does not come all the way out; it just hangs there loose.
4. With shallow basin below drain cock remove the reservoir cap.
5. Let antifreeze drain out.
6. Remove 3 bolt radiator end plate which covers the upper radiator hose.
7. Remove the upper radiator hose at the radiator and move it out of the way.
8. Remove the air conditioner dryer clamp and remove clamp. The dryer can be moved back and forth to get room to work.
9. Remove electrical connectors at fan cover and DCCV. Push the red bar on back to expose the thumb tab and press down on tab release, pull connecters apart. Pull the connector wire plug out of fan cover to remove the entire connector so you do not damage it while working.
10. The two forward hoses on the DCCV connect to the lower water pump and center water pipe just below the bleed screw. Remove at the water pump and below the bleed screw. I found this easier than trying to unhook the hoses from underneath the vehicle. Open the bleed screw by turning counter clockwise ¼ turn and lifting at the same time.
11. On the three rearward DCCV hoses you can opt to pay $27 for 3 female quick connect clips or remove the hose clamps at the DCCV. I chose to remove the hose clamps. There are 3 quick connect joints on the rearward hoses. Not sure how well they are made. All plastic and I’m afraid to break them.
12. Reach in with the long nosed vice grips and detach the two upper hoses, remove hoses and push out of the way.
13. Reach in with shorter long nose vice grips and detach the lower rearward hose. Mine had the clamp on sideways toward the firewall. There was just enough room to reach in backwards with the vice grips and loosen the clamp and remove the hose.
14. Remove the two 10mm nuts that hold the DCCV. Not the ones on the fender bracket.
15. Pull the DCCV with two hoses attached.
16. Put it back together using 2 inch worm clamps, somewhat easier, and much easier if you have to work on it again. Careful with the drain cock,,,,too much torque on tightening will break the plastic, I broke mine with little effort. You can still use the allen wrench to tighten the cock if you break the plastic nut head off.
17. Bleed system and test your work.

If you want a work-around, I live with mine by keeping the temperature turned to 60 deg. and adjusting for comfort with the fan speed. Keeping the temperature set at 60 keeps the cold air coming-at least on mine.

That didn't work on mine, but there is a hose coming off the DCCV that leads to the heater core and you can "gently" clamp that hose and you'll get cold air, but no heat.

I "third" Argulator's "ghetto fix". IT seems to work best while adjusting anything with the car in "Park". Changing anything while driving is a total disaster, I've found.

I "third" Argulator's "ghetto fix". IT seems to work best while adjusting anything with the car in "Park". Changing anything while driving is a total disaster, I've found.

Thizs will only work on gen I. Gen II doesn't have a cold air bypass door.

Members online

Back