help! Master cylinder making a clicking noise after removing/re-installing

luccianoduckman

LVC Member
Reaction score
I had to remove the master cylinder so that I could replace the upper control arm. Couldn't find a way to get to the control arm bolt any other way.
After removing the master cylinder I drained all the fluid out because I was planning on flushing the system anyway. Perhaps that was a mistake.

I reinstalled the master cylinder and filled the reservoir with fluid and got it ready for bench bleeding. When pressing the brake pedal the first time, I hear a clicking noise coming from either the master cylinder or the brake booster - can't quite tell exactly which one the noise is coming from. At the same time, when the clicking noise happens, the pedal gets slightly stuck, almost as though something is binding somewhere. But the pedal moves past that easily and continues down to the floor. After pressing the pedal a couple of times and hearing/feeling this click, I quit because I don't want to screw anything up.

Did I re-install the master cylinder incorrectly? Have I killed the master cylinder or the booster? My first thought was that the rod in the booster is not aligned correctly and is getting off track as it goes into the master cylinder.

Thanks for any input!

they sometimes get gunked up or corrode internally.
not sure if this is what happened, but i would have replaced it as well.

Members online

No members online now.
Back