Help, knocking sound comming form 1-4 cylinder bank

Knock on Bank 1 at Idle

I have a knock on Bank 1 as well. More toward the front of the engine.
Most noticable at idle, seems to disapate during rev up.
122K miles, new plugs and coils. Looking to check the timing chain marks and see if they line up. What are the details of your condition.

Timing chain tensioners. A small bit of plastic wears and then breaks. Usually on the cam to cam chain. If these are making noise DO NOT delay in changing them!!! If/when they break it will destroy your engine. The LS is a interference engine. To make your life easier look for the timing chain with a removable link. They recently started selling these on Ebay. This will save a TON of work because you don't have to take the entire front of the engine apart. These problems so far seem to be only the first gen LS (2000-2002) and only at 100K miles or more. Also if you do one side, do the other too!!!

Do a search on cam chains and see what other people have done!

Bank 1 Secondary timing chain tensioner

Yep .. Lined up the timing marks per the worshop manual and took off the Bank 1 valve cover, the Secondary tensioner was broke. The exhaust valve Cam had slipped a tooth as well. Compression is still good. We'll see how she runs with the new tensioner and properly aligned Camshafts. This means my exhaust valves, on Bank 1, were opening and closing late.

My idle knocking noise was plagued with a P0304 cyl #4 misfire code. Couldn't get rid of it. Not with new spark plugs, Coil and even an injector. Replaced all the coils and plugs. No change, except it ran a little better.

Team Ford says lately they are having trouble keeping the secondary tensioners in stock.

Members online

No members online now.
Back