Help Guys out of ideas!!!

gixxer1kr

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've posted in the past about my intermittent no start issue. Cranks fine but doesn't fire. It's an 02 ls v8 with 100k. It was worse in the winter and just recently started a few times this summer. Last draw was it stalling and acting like it was running out of fuel. And it even did it on a full tank so I didn't think k the jet pump was the issue. Put in a new Delphi pump and Motorcraft fuel filter and it was fine till today. Started it and it was running rough. I drove away and it stalled . Started up and was fine. I have no clue now.

Are you getting any DTC CEL's at all?

Here's what I want you to try,
next time it's idling rough, take an unlit propane torch and while turned on, waive it all around your plastic lines near and about the intake. If it increases in RPM, you have a vacuum leak there and would need fixing.

I'd also be certain it's getting proper fuel pressure and is in fact not misfiring.

Clean intake air breather element filter?

Absolutely no CEL. And I did do oem coils and plugs not to long ago. It's very odd. Im gonna clean the MAF sensor and see if I can replicate it and check for vacuum leaks.And when u say intake air breather element are you talking air filter or is there one of them little sponge type filters hidden somewhere use to catch oil blow by from the TB.

Last edited:
Oh yeah I did the airfilter already. When I did all the coils,plugs and valve cover gaskets. I just swapped out the fuel pump relay with the wiper relay. I'm wondering if it's the crank sensor.

You'd have stored DTC's on something like that I would think.
Might be getting unmetered air in past the MAF.

Try removing that entire plastic black air plenum. From clamps past the MAF all the way to the Intake Throttle Body. See if you can spot any cracks or places where air may get in. If it's past the MAF, the PCM won't make adjustments to the fuel/air trim. We've seen guys with cracked snorkels on 1st GEN's ... the part that get's leaned on, cracks underneath thus allowing unmetered air in.

~ just a thought.

You'd have stored DTC's on something like that I would think.
Might be getting unmetered air in past the MAF.

Try removing that entire plastic black air plenum. From clamps past the MAF all the way to the Intake Throttle Body. See if you can spot any cracks or places where air may get in. If it's past the MAF, the PCM won't make adjustments to the fuel/air trim. We've seen guys with cracked snorkels on 1st GEN's ... the part that get's leaned on, cracks underneath thus allowing unmetered air in.

~ just a thought.

It did have a P316 misfire before 1000rpms . Not sure if that helps. But I can pull the snorkel and look or spray it with carb cleaner when running.

Marginal coils, it's misfiring somewhere.
OEM coils or aftermarket ?

Bought Ford Motocraft. Just drove it and it was fine. It's weird. I'm stumped. I swapped out the fuel relay and order a crank sensor then I'm done.

Swapped fuel pump relay and it's been good. I doubt it's that. Too easy.

It very well be the relay was on its way out ...they usually burn up slowly and eventually just die ppl will call me crazy and worse but it happened to me due to jump starting my car on a dead battery two winters ago, if the fuel pump fuse continues to burn up it usually means you need a new fuel pump under back passenger seat...fingers crossed with ya

QUOTE="AmsterDutch, post: 2037421088, member: 27627"]It very well be the relay was on its way out ...they usually burn up slowly and eventually just die ppl will call me crazy and worse but it happened to me due to jump starting my car on a dead battery two winters ago, if the fuel pump fuse continues to burn up it usually means you need a new fuel pump under back passenger seat...fingers crossed with ya[/QUOTE]
Already did the fuel pump but as long as it stays firing I'm ok with that.

Members online

Back