Help!! Car smells like fuel, inside and out.

Yea ours is an odd duck for sure, and the smell is very close to paint thinner I use to use it every day in the navy I'll never forget the smell. But its not all the time, I haven't smelled it in about a month tbh and it goes away a little while after either me or my wife fills it up, and we only use premium hell I thought it was injectors going bad if I'm being honest. I'm sure the fuel pumps can take a beating but I don't want to risk it that's not to say it even matters one way or the other either haha. I'm usually getting gas when the computer says 100-120. Where did you cut the muffler off at BTW because I was thinking of cutting them off just past the oxygen sensor but was worried about cabin noise and general noise violations.

Yea ours is an odd duck for sure, and the smell is very close to paint thinner I use to use it every day in the navy I'll never forget the smell. But its not all the time, I haven't smelled it in about a month tbh and it goes away a little while after either me or my wife fills it up, and we only use premium hell I thought it was injectors going bad if I'm being honest. I'm sure the fuel pumps can take a beating but I don't want to risk it that's not to say it even matters one way or the other either haha. I'm usually getting gas when the computer says 100-120. Where did you cut the muffler off at BTW because I was thinking of cutting them off just past the oxygen sensor but was worried about cabin noise and general noise violations.

I cut them off way in the rear of the car leaving everything else bacially whwre they sit on hangers behind the rear wheels is where they were cut, and ya definitely consider removing/ cutting the evap hose on the left of the tray and zip tying pointing down ward. I’m sure that’s the cure , that smell I couldn’t tolerate any more than the month I have been already experiencing this, 45 mile drive yesterday, 75 miles more today and not a scent of “gas”

Thats the crazy part we've driven at least 1000 miles since I've smelled it, but its something I'll keep in mind seeing as my wife drives it 250 miles a week to and from work. How different is the sound since cutting the mufflers off, does it look weird with no tips I like the look of the tips on ours.

Thats the crazy part we've driven at least 1000 miles since I've smelled it, but its something I'll keep in mind seeing as my wife drives it 250 miles a week to and from work. How different is the sound since cutting the mufflers off, does it look weird with no tips I like the look of the tips on ours.

For me I had a 99 camaro ss and the 97 lsc sounds way better in my opinion it’s like therapy for me lol honestly wife might not like it because this is a bit of drown with the windows down but that’s only when ur heavy on the gas and in first gear it’s the most loud , but my gf loves it specially when I go threw tunnals and do a blast threw lol and I still have my tips so I just haven’t got around to welding a longer pipe and putting them back I don’t really mind without tips, they would scratch up when I’m back up into places and parking stumps all the time

I’m putting auto start next so my 5- and 8 year old nephews can enjoy pushing the remote for me on cold start lol

Honestly I'm saving up for a set of kooks long tube headers, I don't know who makes an exhaust that I can mate it to and def can't run open headers, but that's probably not gonna happen this year anyway as the car sat for three years when the previous owner had it and he didn't take care of it. So we're having to fix and replace a lot of expensive stuff on a shoestring budget while driving it everyday, not ideal but whatevs.

Did you ever figure out what’s was the issue with the paint thinner smell in the cabin? my mark started smelling like it as well .

Did you ever figure out what’s was the issue with the paint thinner smell in the cabin? my mark started smelling like it as well .
No I never figured it out and honestly it hasn't happened since my last post about it either and that was December of 2019

Okay thank you mine started smelling like 3 days ago been driving it around but it’s a heavy paint thinner smell

I can only see yours and bigred conversation I did his fix it seem to help I can still smell but seem to somewhat work

When those here pulled the hose and zip tied it, didn't anyone get a CEL code? I would think this would cause a emissions code?

Did you pull the hose and ziptie it? I ask because if you didn't it wouldn't throw an emission code
I did the zip tie n no check engine light came on. But if you didn’t do it and was driving it with the gas smell then it kicked a code what code did it kick ? My friend did the evap canisters on his n it didn’t help only thing that help was disconnecting the hose n the zip tie

Members online

No members online now.
Back