HELP!, can't replace coils on driver side.

MDLSV8

LVC Member
Reaction score
2 coils went bad on driver side of my 2000 LS v8. I can get to 5 of the 6 screws to remove the cover, but cant get the last one. Which happens to be the bottom one furthest from the from of the car. And how am I suppsed to work with all of those hoses in the way hanging over the cover? Any specific tool to get at that last screw? My 7mm socket is too long to get in that tight space.

MDLSV8 said:
My 7mm socket is too long to get in that tight space.

Get a small box (12 pt) wrench. I bought a cheap one from Advance Auto because the mall here was PACKED from holiday shoppers and I wasn't about to attempt it to get to Sears. You can do it with that. I did mine and posted about it a couple of weeks ago.

BTW... How do you know you have 2 bad on that side?

edit : I should add that I thought I had every wrench/socket/tool in the world, but found I didn't have a 7mm wrench!

I had the same problem

MDLSV8 said:
2 coils went bad on driver side of my 2000 LS v8. I can get to 5 of the 6 screws to remove the cover, but cant get the last one. Which happens to be the bottom one furthest from the from of the car. And how am I suppsed to work with all of those hoses in the way hanging over the cover? Any specific tool to get at that last screw? My 7mm socket is too long to get in that tight space.

After fiddling for 2 hours, I went to Sears and bought set ofangled ratcheting wrenches, including the needed 7mm one. It was still difficult, but the last bolt came out after 10 minutes of work. Interestingly, I found that the spark plugs on that cylinder bank had never been replaced - 138k miles on it. :L

Badnorwegian said:
After fiddling for 2 hours, I went to Sears and bought set ofangled ratcheting wrenches, including the needed 7mm one.

I'm jealous!!! I want a set of those reversible ratcheting wrenches soooooo bad!!!!!

Congrats on getting the car taken care of!!

BTW... How do you know you have 2 bad on that side? OH, process of elimination. The Last time I had problems we ran the computer on it and it was misfiring on cylinders 6 & 8. So I replaced all 8 spark plugs, and switched the coils on 6&8 to 5&7. This time I am misfiring on 5&7.

lsbit said:
Get a small box (12 pt) wrench. I bought a cheap one from Advance Auto because the mall here was PACKED from holiday shoppers and I wasn't about to attempt it to get to Sears. You can do it with that. I did mine and posted about it a couple of weeks ago.

BTW... How do you know you have 2 bad on that side?

edit : I should add that I thought I had every wrench/socket/tool in the world, but found I didn't have a 7mm wrench!

MDLSV8 said:
The Last time I had problems we ran the computer on it and it was misfiring on cylinders 6 & 8. So I replaced all 8 spark plugs, and switched the coils on 6&8 to 5&7. This time I am misfiring on 5&7.

Oh. I never had a check engine light on mine and don't have a scanner, so I was curious.

Members online

No members online now.
Back