Help Buying

Iwantmymarkback

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm a Lincoln guy, but a friend of mine is looking at a 1997 ETC Eldorado. I don't know much, but It was taken care of. Pearl White, 101,XXX miles. He wants 5 grand for it, but I'm not sure of what it has yet or not, and I haven't run a carfax yet. Can anyont tell me what to look for in the car to see if it is working or not? Thanks.

First, I'll address the headgasket issue... if you can, do a leakdown test, or at least take it for a long testdrive and get it hot. If you can find service records indicating a coolant change around 2002 you should be set (but it will be due for another change pretty soon.)

Other than that, hold down OFF and Warmer on the climate control and if you get any codes. Take a look under it and see if you find oil leaking, if you do it may be the half case or oil pan seal which are both a serious pain in the ass to fix. These cars have a very good build quality and if the car doesn't have the headgasket problem your friend should be happy with the purchase and the car should provide many years of great service.

Thanks a lot man, I'll check this out. Were gonna go check the car out one day this week.

MediumD said:
First, I'll address the headgasket issue... if you can, do a leakdown test, or at least take it for a long testdrive and get it hot. If you can find service records indicating a coolant change around 2002 you should be set (but it will be due for another change pretty soon.)

Other than that, hold down OFF and Warmer on the climate control and if you get any codes. Take a look under it and see if you find oil leaking, if you do it may be the half case or oil pan seal which are both a serious pain in the ass to fix. These cars have a very good build quality and if the car doesn't have the headgasket problem your friend should be happy with the purchase and the car should provide many years of great service.

Would you say this gasket probelm is fairly common? I have a 99 ETC - did this gasket problem only exist on the 97s and 98s or is the 99 no different?

The 99 is no different than the older motors, all older N*s are suceptible. They used a different thread for the head bolts starting in IIRC 2000 (might be a newer year than that though,) which makes it less of a problem if a HG does go (since the threads won't pull out.)

However, just change the coolant on time as instructed and you'll be fine. At least you 96+ guys have the benefit of 5 year changes with Dexcool.

The headgasket problem is usually blown out of proportion because as stated on Caddy forum most people seekout forums to fix a problem not to state "my N* has 200k no headgaskets" or "my car is running problem free" as well.

ALBUNDY said:
The headgasket problem is usually blown out of proportion because as stated on Caddy forum most people seekout forums to fix a problem not to state "my N* has 200k no headgaskets" or "my car is running problem free" as well.

Then let's go ahead and change that: After standing around idle for two months (shortly after being bought), there was no liquid or stains underneath the car so I guess the gasket is probably o.k. - I just got scared when I heard that it costs almost a thousand dollars to fix so I assumed the worst. The car is running smooth.

Like I said, just wanted to post some good news for a change....

Liquid leaking onto the ground is not head gaskets anyway. When head gaskets leak, coolant goes in the cylinders. I work on cars on the side, and I work for pretty cheap. I wouldn't touch a headgasket/timesert job for under $1500, a shop would easily double that.

Oh, okay - I thought you meant the oil leaking.

So how would the head gasket problem manifest itself? How can I tell if my Eldo has that problem?

Oh, whoops. The oil (half case, pan, or f/r main seal) is really just a nuisence leak, but if it happens and you want it fixed it will cost a LOT. Especially the half case.

Anyway signs of a headgasket problems can include but are not limited to: white smoke from the exhaust (most obvious sign,) losing coolant without being able to see a leak, overheating, & loss of compression.

Help with Eldorado oil leak

Oh, whoops. The oil (half case, pan, or f/r main seal) is really just a nuisence leak, but if it happens and you want it fixed it will cost a LOT. Especially the half case.

I know this is an old thread, but maybe someone can help.

We bought a 96 Eldorado Nov 2006 for a winter car, our main summer car is a cherry 98 Lincoln Mark VIII that we store in the winter.

The Eldorado has been a pretty good car for what we bought it for, that is winter roads, something with good traction, I put some good tires on it.

Having said all of that. I just brought it in because it has a serious oil leak. Also the water pump was leaking, not a big dollar item and one strut needed replacing. My mechanic, who runs a real small operation, but does a good job, doesn't see many of these kinds of engines. He can't determine where the leak is comming from, says the coolant lines have oil on them but that is about all he can tell. Are there anyother clues to look for to determine what is the cause of the leak? I would think with the amount of oil it is leaking you could tell right off where it is comming from, the mechanic is a good guy and always treats me right, just doesn't have much experience with these thing, I sure don't want to take it to the dealer, OMG, might as well junk the car and buy a new one or just put a new engine in.

Thanks for your help,
Barry

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back