Help!!! Beeping when i push gas pedal. Service brake light is on dash

sanmel1029

LVC Member
Reaction score
So, I just had something happen that I had never heard of...... I had my car detailed and when they got done, it wouldn't start.... I kept telling anyone and everyone who would come to look at tit that it worked fine when it was cleaned, that it HAD to be something they had accidentally pushed. Sure enough it was the "intertia button" (not sure of the spelling) This is behind the kick plate on the drivers side of the floorboard.. Anyways in the process my battery was disconnected and so it reset everything. When I push my gas pedal, it beeps. And I mean every time I push the gas pedal. I had it in cruise yesterday and had to take it OFF because of all the beeping. It was horrible. Also the service brake light is on the dash. I unplugged the parking brake and it still does this and the service brake light is still on the dash... What can I do????? HELP!!!

Thanks for all the details on what year and what engine you have...

Anyway, first you must completely reconnect the parking brake module. Disconnecting it was a bad idea and you may have done damage to the rear brakes by now. After the car was first restarted and the battery charged back up, did you follow the instructions on the message center display to re-initialize the parking brake? (Or maybe, you don't have a V8, so no message center...)

Sorry guys!!! :( I have a 2005 v6 3.0 Lincoln LS
I only just disconnected it last night when they finally figured out what it was that was causing it not to start.
I can go right now and replug that back up. Its like under the cup holder. Its electronic (not sure if they all are or not)

Sorry guys!!! :( I have a 2005 v6 3.0 Lincoln LS
I only just disconnected it last night when they finally figured out what it was that was causing it not to start.
I can go right now and replug that back up. Its like under the cup holder. Its electronic (not sure if they all are or not)

Okay, so you didn't disconnect the parking brake. You just unplugged the switch. Plug the switch back in.
Turn the key on and press down the main brake. While the main brake is pressed, pull up on the parking brake switch. After the brake sets, you can release both. You should be good now. If not, then it is damaged/mechanically jammed and will have to be repaired.

Just went and tried that :) (IT WORKED) You guys here are the best EVER!!!! Cause Imma giirl and I'm not too good at this stuff by myself. BUT I like to fix it by myself with yalls help if I can. And YOU DID IT AGAIN!!!!! THANKS :) :) :)

No problem. You'll need to do this anytime the battery is disconnected or drained down.

Just went and tried that :) (IT WORKED) You guys here are the best EVER!!!! Cause Imma giirl and I'm not too good at this stuff by myself. BUT I like to fix it by myself with yalls help if I can. And YOU DID IT AGAIN!!!!! THANKS :) :) :)

not sure what gender has to do with "this stuff"

...but glad its working for you.

Hey.... A girl working on her own car..... (Why can't I add a URL picture anymore????) TWO THUMBs UP!!!!!!

Hey.... A girl working on her own car..... (Why can't I add a URL picture anymore????) TWO THUMBs UP!!!!!!

Without diving into a debate, society tends to expect men to be handy, but not girls.

Car guys that work on their own cars (just think of what the term "car guys" means vs the term "car girls"....) want everyone to be handy. Society does not expect that as much from girls.

Sure, there are guys who send themselves to the hospital because of a screwdriver (usually city folk), but it's just how it is.

Sanmel, glad you fixed it.

regardless of where it comes from, I can tell you two things...

I ain't got much respect for a city boy that can't fix things or doesn't know how to use a tool.

and I got mad respect for every lady that can use tools and is able to fix stuff.

I like to fix ANY and EVERY thing I can with help. I had a stepdad whom fixed everything for me and he passed away so I had to learn to do it myself if it was something small. I have even replaced the water pump ;) I really like fixing it when I can. I refuse to take it to a shop somewhere to get over charged. I let the guys I work with (diesel mechanics mostly but they know their s#!t) fix on it when I can't do it myself... But, I am purdy handy and am willing to even watch and learn how to do it next time.... And I don't mind gettin' dirty!!!
Thanks yall for all your help!!!!!!

Okay, so you didn't disconnect the parking brake. You just unplugged the switch. Plug the switch back in.
Turn the key on and press down the main brake. While the main brake is pressed, pull up on the parking brake switch. After the brake sets, you can release both. You should be good now. If not, then it is damaged/mechanically jammed and will have to be repaired.
I was having the same issue, thanks got mine fixed as well

I am so glad I was able to help someone else, because I looked and looked for a post on it and couldn't find one so I made one. And these Fine Men (and possibly Women) here helped me figure it out..... So THANKS AGAIN!!!!

I'm glad this thread has helped, but do note that this info is in your owner's manual. (Why do so few read this little book?)

If the battery is disconnected (or removed), it will be necessary to reset
the parking brake; the message center will display APPLY PARK BRAKE
followed by FOOT ON BRAKE or APPLY ((P)) followed by FOOT BRK.
With the ignition on and the engine not running, depress the brake pedal
and apply the parking brake. The brake lamp will illuminate; this is
normal and the parking brake is now reset. To release the parking brake,
push the lever down with your foot on the brake pedal.

I'm glad this thread has helped, but do note that this info is in your owner's manual. (Why do so few read this little book?)

If the battery is disconnected (or removed), it will be necessary to reset
the parking brake; the message center will display APPLY PARK BRAKE
followed by FOOT ON BRAKE or APPLY ((P)) followed by FOOT BRK.
With the ignition on and the engine not running, depress the brake pedal
and apply the parking brake. The brake lamp will illuminate; this is
normal and the parking brake is now reset. To release the parking brake,
push the lever down with your foot on the brake pedal.
Ok, i have tried to do a reset....you can hear it setting and then it's like it backs itself off before i get the chance to release it. Any ideas?

Ok, i have tried to do a reset....you can hear it setting and then it's like it backs itself off before i get the chance to release it. Any ideas?

Something wrong with one of your rear calipers or maybe a broken parking brake cable?

I had a problem with my e-brake where it would try to engage then disengage except that it wouldn't and the only way to move the car again was to manually release the calipers (plus the "Service Parking Brake" message was on). Initially replaced the parking brake module in the trunk but that didn't work so replaced the passenger rear caliper which it turned out, had a seized parking brake (cable) lever. Once the new caliper was installed along with a pair of parking brake cables in better condition than mine, all is good now after resetting the parking brake (message is gone and system works as it's supposed to).

Members online

No members online now.
Back