HELP!! Bad wheel bearing, CV, or carrier? VIDEO ATTACHED

Justin00LS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My beloved 2000 Lincoln LS with ~170k miles has developed some nasty noise(s). I had a strikingly similar (but slightly different and louder) noise a few years back and a junk yard carrier with 115k miles did the trick! :)

Under light acceleration and under heavy deceleration (downshifting) the noise/clunky sound is most audible at 28-30mph. At all speeds a faint howl is heard and the car just doesn't sound nearly as smooth as it should... Brand new wheels/tires were put on last week and the noise did NOT change. :(

So what do y'all think?? Wheel bearing? CV? or another bad carrier?? I do not know the status of the bearings or CVs, but I haven't changed them in the last 80K miles since I've owned the car.

Any thoughts/comments are welcome!! Thanks!

http://youtu.be/eK82o58thBY

The sound itself is similar to mine but mine is steady with speed at any rate. I thought it was road noise at first but I need a right rear wheel bearing.

I took it to a shop today and they put it on a lift and said they think the rear-end (carrier) is bad again.. :confused:

Considering it was a used carrier, it could have already been on it's way out. If that's not the case I would try to figure out what would be causing them to go bad.

Is there any difference between the v6 3.58 ratio carrier and the v8 3.58 ratio carrier?? I wouldn't imagine so but I thought I'd check here too. :shifty:

Members online

No members online now.
Back