Help All NEW Air Suspension parts won't engage??

Amanda1994

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My name is Amanda, and I have a 1998 Lincoln Town Car. It was passed on from my late father so it holds beyond sentimental vaule to me. Recently all the issues I've encountered is the air suspension. My boyfriend and I just replaced the air compressor and air springs this last Saturday. We felt confident we did everything correctly, before lowering the car I tried to engage the new compressor so the bags could fill up with some air before we release the full weight of car down. The air compressor will not engage. We tried slowly lowering my car down more but it's still not engaged?? Please HELP! Another issue I had was my abs and trac control light but was told its a wiring issue. Would this have something to do with my air compressor not kicking on? Someone brought the level and height sensor to my knowledge but how do I check those as well??

My name is Amanda, and I have a 1998 Lincoln Town Car. It was passed on from my late father so it holds beyond sentimental vaule to me. Recently all the issues I've encountered is the air suspension. My boyfriend and I just replaced the air compressor and air springs this last Saturday. We felt confident we did everything correctly, before lowering the car I tried to engage the new compressor so the bags could fill up with some air before we release the full weight of car down. The air compressor will not engage. We tried slowly lowering my car down more but it's still not engaged?? Please HELP! Another issue I had was my abs and trac control light but was told its a wiring issue. Would this have something to do with my air compressor not kicking on? Someone brought the level and height sensor to my knowledge but how do I check those as well??
I’m unsure if you and your boyfriend’s hearts are set on the air ride but you now have the option to modify the suspension from air ride to regular shocks here is a link 1990-2002 Lincoln Town Car Premium Rear Air Suspension Conversion Kit With Rear Shocks FA2RB - Strutmasters

Keep air ride! These cars are not engineered to go without “however there are some workarounds “ check that the air ride switch in the rear is on, check that the fuses aren’t blown “if the compressor locked up it may have blown it”. The primary components of the air ride are the compressor, the air ride computer, the level sensor, the air springs, the purge solenoids and the air lines. There is also a desiccant canister but not exactly the most important component of the list. Usually the air ride won’t engage if there are one or more doors open, open trunk or if the cars ignition is turned off. Without specialized equipment many diagnostic procedures are not able to be performed. But what you can do is first off make sure you checked the above, make sure the level sensor is attached, turn the key on and wait. If the air suspension light comes on it means the computer is aware there is something wrong if it doesn’t, it means the computer/other electrical components aren’t talking properly.

You may have to lower the car enough to activate the sensor(s) for the air ride.

Good suggestion on the air ride swich in the trunk... and possibly the compressor.

Members online

No members online now.
Back