help abs advancetrac transmission

trenton

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok.. I have replaced all of my wheel sensors and im still getting abs an check advancetrac etc failsafe parking brake aswell sometimes.. Pulled codes p0500 still present my ? Is could. It b my speed sensor on my transmission or something else thanx.. Oh yea its a 2003 lincoln ls v8.

Im asking bcuz i had my transmission rebuit awhile back an if it is the trans speed sensor it shud b covetd n my warranty

I dont know if ford uses the wheel speed sensors to do double duty as the main speed sensor, or if these just show if wheel spin is occurring, then use the sensor on the trans to verify speed output. Im sure someone will have a better answer than I do for you.

My speedometer will fluctuate and then all the lights will pop up an then the speedometer will work correctly it also now says check transmission aswell

Yeah if it freaks out like that it may very well be a sensor on the trans. I am almost positive that the wheel sensors only detect wheel spin.

... I am almost positive that the wheel sensors only detect wheel spin.

You are certainly wrong. The ABS module uses the wheel speed sensors to calculate the car's speed. The ABS then sends this info over the CAN bus to the PCM, cluster, Electronic parking brake module, FEM, REM, rear park assist, ...

Oddly, the sensors in the transmission are only used for transmission control.

If the wheel sensors are all good and installed correctly, then you have an ABS module or (more likely) wiring problem. Throwing parts at this problem instead of doing proper diagnosis is going to be very expensive. It's clear that whatever OBDII scanner you are using is only pulling generic powertrain codes. There's lots more diagnostic information available.

+1 on the wiring problem like Joegr said!

my left front wheel well harness got a little exposed years ago and when the wires started shorting I had the same wacky symptoms.

I know for fact there is a weak spot in the main engine harness right where it curls up near the fuse or relay box up front of the car. water settles in the curl and wreaks havoc. Did on mine anyway, and the dude who's post I found about it. He was a ford/lincoln tech.

Ok im really stressed about this ive already replaced my alternator and all my speed sensors ive taken it 2 the dealership they were no help ive also been 2 many shops nobody can seem 2 find the problem.. How do u reccomend i proced 2 fix this problem

Use a good scan tool that can pull all the Ford specific codes and trigger self-tests.
Once you get those, use the trouble shooting charts in the service manual to chase the problem(s) down. You'll also need a good multimeter and some other tools.
Also, have a good look at that wiring bundle at the front. There have been a number of LSes that had problems there.

Ok i will try 2 find a shop that can proform these procedures.. I just wanted 2 add that it doest have these symptoms n the morning i can drive it with no problem then n about 20 min the problem will come back an keep goin n an out the rest of the day.. Jus putting that out there if it help narrow the search any

So the trans speed sensor wouldnt gve me these symptoms ive listed above

So then it looks like i must have a bad abs module or wireing problem i have changed all 4 speed sensors

You are certainly wrong. The ABS module uses the wheel speed sensors to calculate the car's speed. The ABS then sends this info over the CAN bus to the PCM, cluster, Electronic parking brake module, FEM, REM, rear park assist, ...

Oddly, the sensors in the transmission are only used for transmission control.

If the wheel sensors are all good and installed correctly, then you have an ABS module or (more likely) wiring problem. Throwing parts at this problem instead of doing proper diagnosis is going to be very expensive. It's clear that whatever OBDII scanner you are using is only pulling generic powertrain codes. There's lots more diagnostic information available.

yeah vehicles vary so widely now, the system on older stangs used to just detect wheel spin to control power to the wheels.
All these fancy systems, are certainly getting old quickly. The future car will get worse, im sure the next cars will use breath speed, and fart potentcy to control and monitor speed.
ABS is such an overrated system IMO. More systems to allow idiots to safely control and drive cars, when if we properly taught ppl how to drive, and not text and drive, etc. half these systems would be useless.

I wouldn't call it over-rated. If you had four brake pedals (one for each wheel) then you might be able to convince me that you could do just as well as ABS in all situations.
Stability control (AdvanceTrac) is now being credited with a noticeable reduction in the accident and fatality rates. Maybe you don't need it, but surely you would want all those "idiots" out there on the road with you to have it, so that they don't crash into you.

May as well throw out power windows. Only real drivers can crank the rear windows while maintaining speed and direction.

It's all fair game to say electronic systems just keep idiots alive... until it's someone you know that gets injured or worse in a car lacking electronic nannies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back