Help! 98 Mark VIII is GUTLESS!

Finaddict

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay so I bought this beautiful 98 Lincoln Mark 8 base model with 100K miles on it. When I test drove the car, it was kind of gutless but I figured I could fix whatever was wrong with it... (My biggest mistake here was thinking I could fix something). At around 3,000 RPMs it is like the power just sorta cuts out. It still pulls, just not very strong... like it isn't getting enough fuel or air or something. First thing's first, eliminate the cats & install a true dual exhaust. No change. Next, a new fuel pump and filter. No change. Tried another new fuel pump, a new fuel pressure regulator, Some other fuel to air regulator that was a total PITA to get to by the firewall...God what a goatf@%# that was to change!...i digress. Anyways, installed a new MAS, a K&N air filter, changed any vacuum lines that looked iffy. It never blew any codes...nothing. I sprayed that Lucas cleaner shit into the intake... I waxed it thinking that perhaps a little rubdown would do the trick. Everything I tried has not done a friggin thing to change the lack of power. I have a 95 Mark and that thing is a rocketship by comparison and it has Factory everything on it. I mean, I can't even break the tires loose on this 98! And yes... with the traction control off. The transmission is strong. What in the hell am I missing here? Could the coils be the culprit? The o2 sensors?...but would they still affect the engine seeing as I've eliminated the cats and am running true duals? I'm ready to take a fire ax to the son of a b#!%*! It idles smoothly. Oh! But if I'm cruising in 2nd gear, as it's running at a little higher RPM, I can feel it intermittently gain and lose gain and lose power ...with a steady gas pedal! I just don't know. Any insight, information, insults, and so on, would be greatly appreciated!

Okay so I bought this beautiful 98 Lincoln Mark 8 base model with 100K miles on it. When I test drove the car, it was kind of gutless but I figured I could fix whatever was wrong with it... (My biggest mistake here was thinking I could fix something). At around 3,000 RPMs it is like the power just sorta cuts out. It still pulls, just not very strong... like it isn't getting enough fuel or air or something. First thing's first, eliminate the cats & install a true dual exhaust. No change. Next, a new fuel pump and filter. No change. Tried another new fuel pump, a new fuel pressure regulator, Some other fuel to air regulator that was a total PITA to get to by the firewall...God what a goatf@%# that was to change!...i digress. Anyways, installed a new MAS, a K&N air filter, changed any vacuum lines that looked iffy. It never blew any codes...nothing. I sprayed that Lucas cleaner shit into the intake... I waxed it thinking that perhaps a little rubdown would do the trick. Everything I tried has not done a friggin thing to change the lack of power. I have a 95 Mark and that thing is a rocketship by comparison and it has Factory everything on it. I mean, I can't even break the tires loose on this 98! And yes... with the traction control off. The transmission is strong. What in the hell am I missing here? Could the coils be the culprit? The o2 sensors?...but would they still affect the engine seeing as I've eliminated the cats and am running true duals? I'm ready to take a fire ax to the son of a b#!%*! It idles smoothly. Oh! But if I'm cruising in 2nd gear, as it's running at a little higher RPM, I can feel it intermittently gain and lose gain and lose power ...with a steady gas pedal! I just don't know. Any insight, information, insults, and so on, would be greatly appreciated!
HELLO FRIEND, i HAVE A SPAR MOTOR NO GEAR BOX AND THIS MOTOR ONLY HAS 82,000 MILES TO HER.
iF YOU WANT THIS MOTOR --------. i DO NOT KNOW HOW SHE RUNS AS IT CAME OUT OF A MARK I bought just for a spar engine. Andrew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you changed the plugs and boots? Common Gen 2 problem. My old 97 had a similar issue, the boots fixed it.

Have you changed the plugs and boots? Common Gen 2 problem. My old 97 had a similar issue, the boots fixed it.
my 98 had the same. 3.2K and full throttle is where the engine starts making a lot of cylinder pressure which increases resistance across the plugs. definitely with you on the plug boots. if your pulling the plugs use an inch pound torque wrench to install new ones.

Thanks you guys for taking time to help with this issue that's been plaguing me for some time. I'm sorry I didnt respond sooner. All of your suggestions are on point for sure, and seeing as I need to do it regardless, I am going to try the plugs and coil packs first, then go from there. I'll let y'all know what happens. Thx! Talk at y'all later. Btw...should none of these suggestions fix the problem, might anyone be in the market for a black 1998 Mark VIII?

Set of coppper NGK’s or Autolite/Motorcrafts with new coils/boots and if that doesn’t do it IMRC’s.

OK, for all of us newbs wondering what is an IMRC, it stands for intake management runner control. Here is a nice Vid on a Gen 1 Mark VIII controller of the IMRC in the buff.... The 97 & 98 cable driven controllers seem to not have as many issues as the earlier vacuum models.

Last edited:
I had IMRC issues and the car never threw a code. Drove me insane for a long time. Lol. I removed and cleaned them during my Cobra intake swap and they were indeed, disgusting and sticky. In my experience, spark leaking out the coil boot has always thrown a code. Maybe I just got lucky. Haha! Don't give up on her. She'll be okay and you'll know her much better when you're finished. :)

Members online

Back