HELP!!! 1995 LTC S stereo swap problems

what should i do

• keep everything the same ride it till the wheels fall off?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • return my aftermarket stereo buy a new factory replacement and amp?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LUVLE55

LVC Member
Reaction score
so i am having problems installing an aftermarket stereo that i got for Christmas from my fiance.. i own a signature series with a JBL premium sound system factory... my tape player is bad and my amp blew for my sub i got the pioneer single disk front loader with two 6 1/2 and two 6x9s kit from walmart i cant seem to get the sound i tried everything.... seriously why did they make it so complicated its annoying im gonna call a tow truck n take this car if i dont stop listening to the stupid same radio stations and finally enjoy my mp3s

SOMEOME PLEASE HELP ME???:(

You need an amplifier bypass kit. Its like 20 bucks.

i bought that blue thing from Scosche but nothing worked for me the bypass harness didnt even fit one of my plugs that was in the dash but fit the other (i bought the right parts) my stereo lights up but no sound?!!!!! i dont know what im doing wrong if someone can pls tell me in detail what to do n what to buy im capable of doing it on my own. i really want to do it on my own :(

My old 1993 town car (yours should too) had an amplifier in the trunk, a small metal box on the right side of the back seat (looking into your trunk). the amplifier bypass harness is supposed to bypass that amp. The lines going from the head unit go to that amp, and then go to the speakers. Now, assuming you wired correctly at the head unit, and none of the speakers are blown, and the head unit is in good working order, that amp is where your problem lies.

Well I did some research, and you should check this site out. Go down a couple of posts to find the right instructions. It looks a little more complicated than I thought before, which is weird, because none of the town cars I have owned ever had this kind of whack setup (and I'm on my 4th town car, 92, 93, 00, and 06).
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38453

Well I did some research, and you should check this site out. Go down a couple of posts to find the right instructions. It looks a little more complicated than I thought before, which is weird, because none of the town cars I have owned ever had this kind of whack setup (and I'm on my 4th town car, 92, 93, 00, and 06).
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38453

yupp whack setup is just what i called it lmao... its so aggravating i want to smack the person who came up with this whole setup...

i ran across old pepsi mans posts he doesnt really explain the job in detail and hes the only one out there that actually knows what im talking about n hes posted back in 2003 i cant reach him i need this guy to help me step by step i really want to do this myself just for the experience n bragging about that i did it!!!

Take some speaker wire, probably 15-20 feet or so, run it from the back of the head unit, to the bypass harness (green to green, green/white to green/white, etc, should probably be 8 seperate wires in all, or 4 pairs). Get an antenna extension wire and run it from the back of the amp to the radio. That should be it, the amp is now bypassed. I could be wrong, but it looks like that's all it takes to bypass the thing. Or you could just run wires from the radio directly to the speakers, which involves taking more stuff apart, but if you already took the door panels off might as well do it, and then you have a much more solid connection, as opposed to a bunch of wire, with several different plugs in between it all.

Take some speaker wire, probably 15-20 feet or so, run it from the back of the head unit, to the bypass harness (green to green, green/white to green/white, etc, should probably be 8 seperate wires in all, or 4 pairs). Get an antenna extension wire and run it from the back of the amp to the radio. That should be it, the amp is now bypassed. I could be wrong, but it looks like that's all it takes to bypass the thing. Or you could just run wires from the radio directly to the speakers, which involves taking more stuff apart, but if you already took the door panels off might as well do it, and then you have a much more solid connection, as opposed to a bunch of wire, with several different plugs in between it all.

I'm going to try this thanks I'll let u know if works out good :)

So, any luck?

No :( i just tried today again i bought speaker wire, ground yellow, red and blue wire which are REALLY REALLY expensive 24 bucks a roll... a new harness cus i messed up the last one i bought... im going insane i already spent about as much as it would have to go to a sound shop... i thought i had it this time i was so sure of it and then the bypass harness doesnt fit any of the connectors in my trunk near my amp to the right and then there are two antenna things that lead up to my rear dash by my sub and iunno what to do with the antenna ext that i had to buy to get this done.... i was so sure that i had it today that i was going to make a youtube video on how i did it so nobody has to suffer with a JBL premium sound swap anymore GRRRRRR so mad at my Fonzie right now!!!

Hi there ! I just bought a 97 Town car with the JBL Premium audio and installed a new CD radio. I also bought a Scosche wiring harness and it doesn't fit. I bought a Metra 70-5601 wiring harness kit and it works like a charm ... except for the subwoofer ! It is almost plug and play.

Hope it helps !

aaaaaaaaaRRGH scosche messed this one up

I too have the scosche harness made specifically with the JBL bypass but one of the plugs does not fit...

All this time and headache wasted in the effort to save the time rerunning new wires to each speaker, but that's what it'll be for this guy if the Metra 705601 harness doesn’t work out...

Anyway, I hate the idea of 15 year old wires running from the front to the back getting split and bridged along the way with at least 3 solder points just to double back and aim for the speakers. " :eek: Premium sound-my A$$"

-gunnar

I'm pretty sure for those years it was premium sound, for a stock car. I amped my 93's speakers with an alpine amp and they sounded crystal clear, and they were13 years old at the time.

well i got it done lol... turns out i just needed a harness that goes somewhere in my trunk and the speaker wires up to the head unit... i could have done that myslef i just didnt want to ruin things along the way everything seemed connected someway back there.. i thought if i cut this whats going to happen to that... i like everything to stay original too... i got charged $90 bucks for that harness installation and extra antenna wire... ill post pics of my mess lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back